Fork me on GitHub
#discussion
<
2021-05-24
>
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair20:05:01

@jtf Hey, Jeffrey or @me1342 — was it you who told me that there was a podcast interview of Dr. Amy Edmondson where she described how she feels now that calling it “psychological safety” set back the movement by a decade? And she had a term that she now wishes she had called it? Do you have the link to that podcast? THANK YOU!

Jeffrey Fredrick, Author-Agile Conversations20:05:13

She was a guest on The Meltdown podcast with Chris Clearfield @genek

Jeffrey Fredrick, Author-Agile Conversations20:05:21

The phrase she used was “felt permission for candor”

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair20:05:06

Brilliant! Thank you!! (I’m even subscribed for that podcast, after the episode that you did with Chris — and totally missed this one.) Can’t wait to listen to it — thx again!

👍 2
Duena Blomstrom, Psychological Safety Dashboard CEO, Author PeopleBeforeTech05:05:09

Yes thanks Jeffrey, I knew she was reluctant and for good reason, we're struggling every day with the confusion in terms with mental wellbeing or job safety and a billion things in between and both Amy and I periodically have to write about why it's not a "nice to have" but has a number on it for the business. I personally like "organisational permission" for "high performance teams' dynamic" or even "team level trust" but the ship has sailed renaming wise, the concept is finally seeing enough traction that trying to rebrand would be disastrous and cost teams as it would build even more "Human Debt" if organisations get yet another excuse not to work on it urgently.

❤️ 3
Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:05:52

I like "team level trust" because many people already understand how hard it is to earn trust, how it has to be nurtured, and how easily is can be lost or broken. Of course you're right on the branding, since it's starting to take off and getting wide exposure. Perhaps working toward naming like "Psychological Safety (and Trust)" or something like that would help...