Fork me on GitHub
#discussion
<
2022-12-07
>
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:20

Good morning, all! Program starts in 3.5 minutes! That’s what the timer should say in your player window — if not, just refresh your browser. (I had to do this, because my countdown timer was stuck at 11m.)

🎉 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:25

@mring I’m wearing my +7 Socks of Entropy Amelioration today!

🙌 2
Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere15:12:52

I feel like we need some Investments Unlimited socks to round out the set. (I know, different authors, but shared universe perhaps?)

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere18:12:50

@wbensing @john_z_rzeszotarski @michaeledenzon I missed your AMA yesterday, but my question for you is this... If you could get Investments Unlimited socks, what character(s) would you put on them and what would they be doing? cc @jason.cox @tapabrata.pal @leahb

😆 2
Robert Wood14:12:58

I love all these funky socks

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:03

Up next: Shannon Lietz, VP of Security, Adobe!

Robert Wood14:12:05

I feel like I’m missing out on something

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:58

Yes, totally, Shannon! 🎉 (I know she’ll be joining Slack shortly, @robert.wood 🙂

❤️ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:37

(Adobe: soon to be the home of Figma. 🤯 )

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:30

Security at Adobe: product security and adversary emulation (!!) — ha!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:11

The famous 2012 ISACA presentation, introducing the notion of DevOps to the IT audit community — that must have been fun! 😆

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:37

“bring security into the forefront of software and make things easier” 💯

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:59

(I mean, come on, scaring auditors has been a fun past time for so many people in the DevOps community 🙂

😂 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:17

Love this! ^^^ As I mentioned in my introduction to @robert.woodpresentation: infosec in Phoenix Project was depicted as the shrill, hysterical people, focused on technical minutiae, sucking the will out of everyone they touched

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:43

Okay, what do you do after you’ve put all the security controls in the CI/CD pipeline — what’s next after that? how do we better put security measurements into the business and technology function. “Let’s look at how North Star measures are usually framed?”

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:59

How do we take away the advantage from the adversary? <----

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:35

Let’s look around how we talk about Value Creation!

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:29

that’s the common thread in many of these conversations. it’s the fundamental “why” that brings us together.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:01

How do we all work together on how people can get excited about security objectives? <--- a lofty goal!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:28

Current center of gravity is around Dev Productivity — is there a larger frame?

👍 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:51

I’ve heard that devs have to do everything — 😆😆😆😆😆. (I can’t even write YAML files!)

Topo Pal14:12:17

I am attending a DOES talk today. I am 100% productive today!

🙌 4

PS: I was so blown away by the presentation from @robert.wood yesterday, on truly enabling devs to focus on dev things, and not have to worry about the arcane aspects of infosec. And be more secure and compliant than ever!

❤️ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)14:12:31

Measuring the right things in the right way at the right time is hard!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:42

“I’m a big fan of stock photography” Ha! “I learned a lot from Intuit — Design For Delight, focusing on customer understanding.” “What we’re all trying to measure, however difficult, is Value and Trust. What do we get when we combine Scott Cook [Intuit] and Scott Belsky [Making Ideas Happen, The Messy Middle]”

Ryan Taylor, Application Architect, Axim Geospatial14:12:49

Will plenary slides be available? I am having trouble finding those on the site. Perhaps I just missed the link?

Nick Eggleston (free radical)14:12:58

Did you look in the Github site?

Ryan Taylor, Application Architect, Axim Geospatial14:12:54

I did not. Was trying to find those in the itrevolution site.

Nick Eggleston (free radical)14:12:24

Slides always get posted to the ITRev Github.

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:44

@ryanewtaylor just making sure… are you looking here?

Nick Eggleston (free radical)14:12:46

I never noticed that @jeff.gallimore... is that the preferred way?

Ryan Taylor, Application Architect, Axim Geospatial14:12:28

@jeff.gallimore, thanks! I see the link now. Just missed it!

🙌 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:58

@nickeggleston the preferred way is the easiest one for you 🙂 but that’s the easiest way to find the slides for a particular talk

❤️ 1
👍 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:26

What makes someone a Net Promoter — which products make us happy? which products, when we take away, make us disappointed. It hints at the “trust algorithm”, that makes us rave about a product?

👍 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:02

(PS: @shannon: I shared yesterday that the eNPS score from DORA came from Dr. @drandremartin, who spoke yesterday! and Welcome!!! So delighted you’re sharing this with us today!!!)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:30

(i.e., You’re earning my trust continuously)

Dimension #4: low Error rates (you’re not always erroring out when I use your software)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:35

Resilience: software that can operate with thresholds to sustainably achieve goals!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:18

I love what @shannon is doing here — integrating the objectives of infosec into metrics that we already care about.

🎯 2
👍 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:25

it’s a wonderful change management approach, too — to drive adoption and uptake.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:27

Adoption: Are we integrating security in software in a way that software can be used?

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:23

Velocity: customer love it when we can adapt the software to our needs — and infosec cannot be a barrier to that

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:12

Errors: errors erode the user experience — no one would object to helping reduce errors that impact the user experience.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:21

I love this reframing of how we talk about security — malware resistant. We don’t want Adoption from hostile actors (hahahaha. So good!)

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)14:12:39

Security as part of customer delight. 100%

💯 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:08

Please take the RAVE survey that @shannon! I’m so excited to see where her work takes this community! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/N3279ML Thank you, @shannon!

🆘 1
🔖 1
❤️ 1
🙏 1
👍 1
☝️ 1
slietz16:12:13

Thank you @genek Please help my research and share about your metrics! Really proud to be here and part of this community!

thankyou 1
Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)14:12:35

@shannon, I’d love to have a metrics chat with you. 🙂

Nick Eggleston (free radical)14:12:15

and I'd love to listen live to that chat...with the ability to ask questions

Istvan Bathazi14:12:19

perhaps have it in gather.town room on one of the breaks

Craig Statham16:12:02

Would love to join a gather also.

slietz16:12:47

I am new to gather so i might need some help

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)16:12:31

I join the room, left-click on someone I’m trying to talk to, and select “follow”. https://app.gather.town/app/kATASYhmxzaVMLO8/DevOps%20Enterprise%20Summit

slietz17:12:29

thank you!

Nikhil Das Nomula(Platforms - JD Finishline)14:12:57

@shannon yes would love yo have a chat with you 🙂. What do you use to measure these metrics

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:14

Thanks so much, @shannon! Next up: Dr. @thomas.wuerthinger , creator of the GraalVM, VP, Oracle Labs! So delighted you’re here!

👏 3
👍 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:32

JVM Out Of Memory errors. 🙂

😂 2
Vlad Ukis14:12:36

Thanks, @shannon! Very relevant content!

👏 2
Nick Eggleston (free radical)14:12:39

Brain hurting while trying to listen to Gene and take survey!

😆 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:09

The V8 JavaScript JIT compiler that makes Google Chrome so fast!

Hossain Mohammad14:12:39

Thank you so much @shannon!

Jose Adan Ortiz14:12:49

Really helpful slides and experiences shared @shannon 🚀

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:01

“make programmers more productive, and their programs run faster!” — what a motto from @thomas.wuerthinger <-- so delighted you’re here!

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:46

Hi everybody! Happy to answer any questions you might have on anything related to GraalVM or more general virtual machine and compiler technology.

👍 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:26

His big career choice: Google or Oracle? Oracle! Because, they allowed him to create a real research agenda!

Mark Persiko15:12:31

OAK== Object Application Kernel, IIRC

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:44

Java itself was a research project, released in 1985. Java: 60 billion VMs running. 🤯

Dakota Wandro15:12:15

60 billion JVMs - that's a lot of OOM errors!

😂 5
Jason Cox - Disney15:12:18

Just think, we could have had OVMs instead of JVMs.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:23

Like so many things, GraalVM started off as a vision paper in 2013!

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)15:12:29

“One VM to Rule Them All” :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

👍 1
Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:27

Yes, we were of course very ambitious early on ;-)

💙 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:16

@thomas.wuerthinger Dying to ask: what was the biggest surprise after the 2018 launch, when the world finally saw what you’ve been working on for so long?

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:38

The fast positive reaction in general. Our initial social media posts and the "top 10 things" got unexpectedly viral. And that was very helpful for us getting feedback in a lot of areas.

🔥 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:41

“advice I got from my manager: it’s a marathon, not a sprint — requires steady development at a steady pace, continually increasing reach as you go. proud that over 10 years, in this long term effort, we kept broadening reach.” (10 years!)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:38

The Just in Time compiler inside the JVM is written in C++ — a notoriously dangerous memory-unsafe language.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:36

I didn’t know this util talking with @thomas.wuerthinger, but there’s a class of errors where the C++ JIT crashes, which crashes the entire JVM! This is a class of error where the Java JIT will not take down the JVM! 😆 So good!

Jason Cox - Disney15:12:16

Rewrite the JIT in Java! Love that.

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:08

Yes, Java is a much better language for such complex projects. And by now it is fast enough in terms of peak performance.

Topo Pal15:12:30

@thomas.wuerthinger are you also involved with GraalWasm?

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:15

Yes, my team is behind GraalWasm, which allows to run WebAssembly on top of GraalVM.

❤️ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:41

Big performance hit while JIT compiler warms up to steady state...

Craig Statham15:12:46

Sounds like an ultimate lesson in recursion! LOL!

👍 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:25

I had no idea about this downside of a Java JIT — the app has to warm up, then the Java JIT has to warm up, in order to speed up program execution. 😆 And thus the “native image AOT” execution was born!

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)15:12:33

@thomas.wuerthinger how long would it take the JIT compiler to warmup? and what were the biggest factors that determined how long it would take?

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:18

Biggest factor is how much code is exercised during startup. So if you have a complex application with a lot of dependencies, the warmup can be very long. It depends also if you execute on a machine where "free cores" are available for running the JIT.

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:36

For complex applications, it may take several minutes to warm up.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:43

Smalltalk! (One of my favorite videos from the GraalVM team was @thomas.wuerthinger working with one of his colleagues in TruffleSqueak, which is Smalltalk running on the JVM. It was wild! Trying to find the video link.) He could instrument the JVM JIT from inside the Smalltalk GUI. It was wild.

❤️ 1
Jason Cox - Disney15:12:19

Wow! Polygot power...

🎉 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)15:12:35

“One VM to Rule Them All”

💯 1
Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:31

Yes, we believe that it is a big wasted effort to have all the languages in separate VMs and a future where languages share a common platform would lead to huge synergies across the industry.

❤️ 1

One of the startling the things I’ve heard from @thomas.wuerthinger is his observation of silos in languages — how a common VM would enable all languages.

Nikhil Das Nomula(Platforms - JD Finishline)15:12:23

I think this will be really cool as it grows. I love python but one of the PITA point is trying to get some packages running on different OS's. All languages - Write once run everywhere(WORM) not just java

👆 1
Mark Persiko15:12:20

It would be easier to optimize performance for all languages by factoring out their common VM attributes, I would think?

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:51

Yes. Any optimization we do in the GraalVM compiler benefits all languages running on top of it.

❤️ 1
🎉 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:02

TruffleVM: leverage a common JIT, GC, across all the languages. It’s so cool to see the Shopify folks, one of the largest Ruby on Rails shops around (up there with GitHub), experimenting with using TruffleRuby to increase performance. Wild times!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:29

@thomas.wuerthinger sharing his funding model, of how his team grew from just himself, to a team, to multiple teams. I loved how he described his team as “currently over 100 of some of the finest compiler people on the planet.” 🎉

👏 1
Topo Pal15:12:02

Looks like GraalVM will be on browsers too? @thomas.wuerthinger

Topo Pal15:12:27

GraalJS rather

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:10

We do have some research going on to run Java code in the browser via a native image backend, but we have not released this yet. GraalJS is for running JavaScript server-side; and while of course having GraalVM in a browser would be awesome, Oracle is no browser vendor and I think it would be a difficult task to convince a browser vendor that they should do this 😉.

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:50

That would indeed be a fun student project. But I think it is not very realistic to make it work in practice, just because of the realities of who controls the browsers.

🙏 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:25

“instant start time” <-- not something you typically associate with JVMs. 🙂 “for the cloud, it’s really a no brainer, especially serverless.”

❤️ 1
Mark Persiko15:12:49

Yes, in fact Amazon just announced a Lambda enhancement at re:Invent, for Java, speaking to this: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-accelerate-your-lambda-functions-with-lambda-snapstart/

🔖 1
❤️ 1
Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:54

Yes. The advantage of GraalVM native image over this is that native image also provides a memory advantage (and therefore you might be able to run in a smaller Lambda instance). Of course also Amazon's approach only works if you run on a Firecracker VM within their system and cannot be used outside.

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)15:12:36

GraalVM to solve serverless cold start problem 🤯

Craig Statham15:12:20

That cold-start of the JVM in AWS Lambda can be a real barrier to adoption so love this idea!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:28

(for one reason, because you don’t need to bring your compiler with you into your app, and all the memory that compilation needs. a neat insight. 🙂

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:24

Yes. And with GraalVM Native Image, you benefit not only from the better cold start, but also from reduced memory. This is a fundamental advantage compared to the recently released Amazon SnapStart that snapshots the VM state.

Jonathan Mailhot15:12:49

Maybe I've made a mistake in the URL but I get a "video isn't available anymore" with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhmgomex1zk

Jonathan Mailhot15:12:16

ah.. q not g... thanks @thomas.wuerthinger!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:09

“read what the competition says about us” Disney!!! <--- @jason.cox Disney+ app, citing AWS blog article.

👏 2
👍 1
❤️ 2
Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:24

For long-lived applications, does GraalVM return memory pages to the OS when objects are freed or does it just ratchet up continuously until restart? @thomas.wuerthinger

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:20

Typically not, but there are circumstances where it can happen. On native image, our recommended GC is the HotSpot/G1 GC. This stackoverflow answer seems quite accurate on the topic of freeing memory for HotSpot and the same would apply for GraalVM when running on HotSpot or when using the G1 GC configuration with native image: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30458195/does-gc-release-back-memory-to-os

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:24

In many scenarios I think you want to avoid having long-running applications altogether, because the risk of a memory leak in your application due to user error is quite high in Java. So even if the JVM does a good job in releasing memory, I think most complex Java applications continuously allocate stale data.

Nick Eggleston (free radical)06:12:37

I agree in principle, but I do like to know that after the java process has eaten the elephant, it can release the storage back for use by other parts of the system.

Nick Eggleston (free radical)06:12:31

By the way, @thomas.wuerthinger, did you hear the talk by @jonathanjoo? He was talking about memory management in relation to the various garbage collectors and special steps Google has taken to help right-size the memory consumption of the JVM GC. If you haven't met, it seems like you two should meet. 🙂

Jonathan Joo19:12:49

Hi @thomas.wuerthinger, happy to connect!

👏 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:31

(It’s super fun and amazing to see sub-50ms star times in a Java app.)

🤯 2
Greg Devine15:12:33

How does GraalVM handle reflection and custom classloaders?

👀 1
Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:06

Reflection can be configured in files - i.e., you need to specify which classes / methods you want to make reflectively accessible.

Chris Austin15:12:23

I've been intending to experiment with graalvm for awhile, but haven't taken the time to learn how to configure reflection - which I use very heavily. https://www.graalvm.org/22.0/reference-manual/native-image/Reflection/

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:11

For native image, we only recommend its use when using a compatible framework like Micronaut, Quarkus, Helidon, or now with the latest Spring 6 release also Spring.

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:33

GraalVM also has a JIT mode that you may use in case a native image is not possible.

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:50

Then of course you get the typical JIT trade-offs, i.e., larger memory footprint, slower startup.

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:14

But the GraalVM JIT, specifically the Enterprise Edition, is faster than regular HotSpot/C2.

Chandan Gudla15:12:57

Are there any disadvantages of using GraalVM in production for languages other than Java?

Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:44

Depending on the language there are different trade-offs compared to the reference implementation. We do have a production-quality JavaScript (and node.js) implementation that is competitive with V8 on peak performance. It is however not optimized for startup/warmup. For Python/Ruby/R, we provide peak performance orders of magnitude over the reference implementation, but we are still working on full compatibility with the reference implementation, because those languages do not have the same level of standardization as Java (specifically wrt foreign function interfaces).

Chandan Gudla15:12:56

Thank you so much for the reply! Great Talk @thomas.wuerthinger

👏 1

PS: anyone interested in benchmarking will enjoy this talk, on the game of Java/JVM benchmarking from @thomas.wuerthinger, and how to win them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqKTPnWUmvs&amp;t=9s

🙏 1
👍 2
🔖 2
Nikhil Das Nomula(Platforms - JD Finishline)15:12:33

How does GraalVM play with spring boot and java, vs sprint reactive and java

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:21

(I think @thomas.wuerthinger is giving one of the keynotes at Spring One conference coming up, which says a lot!)

gratitude-thank-you 1
Jason Cox - Disney15:12:39

This is awesome... thank you @thomas.wuerthinger!

👏 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:42

I am struggling with cognitive dissonance between the incredible innovation here and the word Oracle, which is often trying to be displaced in corporate IT

😂 6
Thomas Wuerthinger15:12:47

Large companies are quite diverse places 😉

👍 2
Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:37

Of course... and if Google had bought Sun (and thus Java) you wouldn't have had to choose between Oracle and Google.

👏 1
😂 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:55

Thank you so much, Dr. @thomas.wuerthinger!!!! Keep up all the amazing work!!!

👏 9
Topo Pal15:12:12

Thank you so much @thomas.wuerthinger

👏 2
Istvan Bathazi15:12:24

Great presentation! Thanks for sharing @thomas.wuerthinger

👍 2
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)15:12:04

ℹ️ a couple new features for our Slack workspace. If you put the 🔖 emoji on a post, that post will get re-posted in #C04ED43AQAC. It will create a one-stop shop for all the great links and such. If you put the 🆘 emoji on a post, that post will get re-posted to #C04E25MA5E0. We’ll have a single place for all the help needed — and that we might be able to provide — for this community.

👏 1
‼️ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:35

Coming up is @ben.grinnell, who will be hosting a working session tomorrow for outsourcers and orgs that use them!

Ben Grinnell - North Highland and DOES PC15:12:37

Hi Everyone, please let me know if you have any thoughts on this subject or stories to share

Jason Cox - Disney15:12:38

"issue is not outsourcing, issue is functional outsourcing"

👍 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:51

“funded my Ph.D. doing development for browsers, which then were called Mosaic and Netscape.” 😆

👏 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:08

“this community wants to improves the lives of everyone in IT — but what about the millions of people working in outsourced IT?”

❤️ 2
Jason Cox - Disney15:12:35

This idea and Ben's wisdom was so insightful in helping us craft the paper on good consulting (see https://itrevolution.com/product/good-consulting-helping-organizations-and-consulting-agencies-build-successful-engagements/).

🔖 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:14

“As Home Office, all ops outsourced to Fujitsu, dev to Atos/Origin, with work spread out to all four big consultancies. there was nothing in that model to encourage collaboration. quite the opposite. Impossible to implement, due to procurement roles. we must fix this” — @ben.grinnell

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:59

^^^ …taking long drag on cigarette…. “Perfect.” 😭 😭 😭

😭 1

The case for insourcing from Project to Product whitepaper

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:14

But people who make outsourcing decisions don’t read those whitepapers — they read Forbes: “Success Tomorrow Relies on Smart Outsourcing Today”, in an age when 27MM devs.

😬 2
Leah Brown - IT Revolution15:12:04

Here is the free guidance paper Ben references: The Project to Product Transformation: Practical Guidance from Fourteen Enterprise Journeys. 🔖 https://itrevolution.com/product/project-to-product-transformation/

👍 3
🔖 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)15:12:05

This is an EXCELLENT resource. So helpful in framing the project-to-product journey and many of the aspects of that journey.

The problem statement as viewed by the Global System Integrators vs. their customers (enterprises, as represented by this community) — the misalignment and dissonance is jarring.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:06

Enterprises: “how do I enable competitors in a multi-supplier engagements to help each other and enable everyone to bring their ‘A’ game?” <--- 🤯

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:05

(@ben.grinnell observed: even when you can get this to actually happen, it’s fragile — when the senior partners show up, they all want to steal work from the other suppliers. 🤯 This resonated with many people.)

Leaf (Jessica Roy), MassMutual15:12:07

"lowest day rate is a proxy for value" 😂

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:10

“I want an expert on this topic, but I don’t want any of your people to ‘learn on the job’” — which makes it untenable for the external.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:12

“you want something from a supplier that they can actually provide — instead of growing together, you force them to get contractors to fill those role; you changed them from provider of a service to a body shop. You could have done that yourself!”

👍 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:51

“you can’t build an internal capability in this type of model.” Kudos to @ben.grinnell for framing this conflict and incentive mismatch so clearly!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:52

“developing people is something that HR needs to be involved in”

“If you’re not growing your own talent, you’re not going to have talent” 🤯

👆 5

“when externals talk to each other, enterprises assume collusion — they should see instead collaboration” 😭

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:47

“do you recognize these problems? yes. what are you doing about it? nothing.”

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:57

(another long drag on cigarette. “Perfect.“)

Ann Perry - IT Revolution15:12:38

Join @ben.grinnell tomorrow for the Outsourcing Workshop at 12:45-2:45p CT. https://sched.co/1FAkH

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:50

If you care about this problem, and actually want to do something about it, stay tuned for working session that @ben.grinnell will be hosting above! ^^^^ THANK YOU!!!!

Ben Grinnell - North Highland and DOES PC15:12:54

I hope you found that valuable. If you've experienced the problems I spoke about, please come to our workshop tomorrow

❤️ 5
Jason Cox - Disney15:12:59

FYI - interesting podcast/article on Disney's CEO drama.. on https://www.theverge.com/23495146/disney-ceo-bob-iger-julia-alexander-disney-plus-netflix-streaming-chapek-marvel-star-wars. "Bob Chapek had brought in McKinsey to kind of look over how he could do this reorg. That’s what really angered creatives."

🔥 2
🙏 3
🔖 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:04

“to upgrade Aegis software on USN ships required cutting out massive steel bulkheads so the computers could be removed, so that they could be upgraded.” 😆

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:48

Up next: Captain @james.l.long.jr, Innovation Officer, US Army Reserve!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:28

“although I suspect recruiting and retention might be [problems in commercial industry], as well” 😆

💯 2
Mark Persiko15:12:30

Cyber Force would seem to be a need, across all armed forces?

Dakota Wandro15:12:32

Team of Teams ❤️

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:36

intended audience: any technology leader who has reservists or National Guards on their teams. Does that include anyone here?

👍 1
👀 1
Nikhil Das Nomula(Platforms - JD Finishline)15:12:44

is there a website where we can find info about this program?

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:36

Yes!!! Stand by — am getting link from @james.l.long.jr shortly! Thank you!

James Long, US Army Reserves, Innovation Officer17:12:58

Good morning, @nnomula Thank you for your question! There is not yet a public website; but, interested military personnel can register here to learn more; https://forms.gle/JjEbrg8WkV3bE6NA8

gratitude-thank-you 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair17:12:01

Thank you, @james.l.long.jr!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:15

@james.l.long.jr request for help: if your tech org has reservists or National Guards on their teams, and you’d like to help on responding to humanitarian challenges, there’s now a program to utilize them on these important missions: please DM him for more information on this unique pilot! THANK YOU!!!

🆘 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:20

Thank you @james.l.long.jr!!!!!

👏 2

Thank you, all!!! That concludes Day 2 morning plenary sessions — catch you around later today and the afternoon plenaries!!!! 🎉

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:11

(In other exciting news, Amazon checkout apparently not working for last 3 hours!). https://downdetector.com/status/amazon/

Vlad Ukis16:12:56

Might be the result of recent layoffs

Ben Grinnell - North Highland and DOES PC16:12:57

Not just checkout, I know a few delivery drivers here in the UK who were turned away from their shifts as 'none of the systems are working'

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:22

Hi, @shannon314!!! So good to see you — I think we must have had a timezone error! We aired your talk at 6:35am PT! We so much enjoyed and were dazzled by your talk — let me link up with @annp and @jeff.gallimore to see if we can arrange for a Q&A time! And we so much want to support your work! https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/archives/C015DQFEGMT/p1670425028244559

🎉 1
👏 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:22

Hi, @shannon314!!! So good to see you — I think we must have had a timezone error! We aired your talk at 6:35am PT! We so much enjoyed and were dazzled by your talk — let me link up with @annp and @jeff.gallimore to see if we can arrange for a Q&A time! And we so much want to support your work! https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/archives/C015DQFEGMT/p1670425028244559

🎉 1
👏 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)16:12:21

We could use the Birds of a Feather time/place (in Gather) today. John Willis is hosting today but I’m sure he and everyone else would love for Shannon to join that.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:50

It’s @shannon314 , @jeff.gallimore. Thank you!

Slackbot16:12:15

Reminder: The action has moved to the breakouts! Join the following channels to interact with speakers live while their talks air: #discussion-track-1 #discussion-track-2 #discussion-track-3 #discussion-track-4

James Long, US Army Reserves, Innovation Officer17:12:00

Thank you all for your time today! Quick follow up: Interested military personnel can register here to learn about digital service opportunities https://forms.gle/JjEbrg8WkV3bE6NA8

🆘 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair17:12:42

Thank you for all the fantastic work you’re doing, @james.l.long.jr, and I hope this community can help you on this pilot!!!

🙌 5
❤️ 1
🙏 2
🎉 1
Slackbot21:12:29

Reminder: The plenary sessions are starting again in 5 minutes. Start making your way back to your browser. https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/files/UATE4LJ94/F04DG604H1C/image.png

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:56

Getting ready for the two afternoon talks, one from @jonathanjoo from Google, and one from @ross.clanton410 @steven.leist and Julie Rath from American Airlines! 🎉🎉🎉🎉

🎉 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:43

And hello, @jonathanjoo — so delighted you’re here! 🙂

Jonathan Joo21:12:13

Hi everyone! Glad to be here and happy to answer any questions you all might have during the talk!

❤️ 2
👋 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:05

Ah, the revised talk title is: “Saving Millions of Dollars by Auto-Configuring JVM Memory Settings (Introducing Adaptable Heap Sizing!)” “Giving devs all the memory they think they need — what could go wrong?!?” 😆😆😆

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:14

(Today is JVM Appreciation Day! 🙂

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:00

“Java memory management has a been a proper pain for devs for a long time” — even developers at Google! cc @jason.cox @topo.pal!!

💯 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:13

“Part of the Java team is to ensure that the thousands of devs at Google — to ensure that things just work!”

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:06

(Even the Java 8 -> 11 migration was a pain for Google.). (Neat to get insights of Java migration at Google!)

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)21:12:19

@jonathanjoo could you share any specifics on what “google scale” looks like? that would be super interesting…

Jonathan Joo21:12:34

Google scale is pretty large, and I don't actually have the numbers off the top of my head. But we have jobs that run on Terabytes of RAM, as you will see later in the presentation!

🤯 1
thankyou 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:28

@jonathanjoo You mentioned in one take in the recording of how big the Java Platform Team is — would you mind sharing that here?

Jonathan Joo21:12:03

It is me and 6 other people!

🙏 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:44

Me: Conciously Incompetent vs. Unconsciously Incompetent. 🙂

Chris Austin21:12:10

Really looking forward to this talk. I'm currently auto-resizing k8s deployments based on predicted workloads, with different cpu/mem requests and -Xmx. It works and saves us money, but it's not as elegant as I'd like.

Jonathan Joo21:12:27

Yes, hopefully this will be a relevant talk for you 😄

Chris Austin21:12:49

Definitely. I'm very interested in how this works with k8s resource requests - I'd want to scale both the heap and the container of course

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:11

@chrisxaustin I knew I didn’t actually fully understand JVM memory settings, and docker cgroups — and after seeing his talk, NOW I KNOW I DON’T! 😂

😂 1

@chrisxaustin I knew I didn’t actually fully understand JVM memory settings, and docker cgroups — and after seeing his talk, NOW I KNOW I DON’T! 😂

😂 1
Jonathan Joo21:12:03

To be honest I myself don't understand everything -- there are so many settings so I'd say it's hard to be a true expert!

Chris Austin21:12:27

Brian Goetz's G1 talk at JavaOne was enlightening, same for his Java Concurrency in Practice book. So good.

💯 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:09

“I know G1GC isn’t new — but it’s new to us”

Jason Cox - Disney21:12:22

"Memory Cycle of Doom" 😂

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:25

CONTAINER OOM! (Out of Memory!)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:37

“Container OOM! I’ll just give my container more memory” (even though this doesn’t change the conditions that actually cause Container OOM.) Result? Containers use more and more memory, because…. well, devs! 😆

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)21:12:18

this is the same pattern that leads to LESS frequent deploys — that deployment sucked so let’s wait longer to do the next one.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:19

(I mean come on, who among hasn’t done this? But, at Google scale, you can do this to absurd container sizes…. 🙂

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)21:12:20

that cycle of increasing -Xmx seems reminiscent of the anti-pattern led to this 🤯: “if something is painful, then do it more frequently so it becomes less painful”

😂 2

@jonathanjoo I’m wondering if these Slack comments confirm that devs are the same everywhere? 😆

👀 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:55

@jonathanjoo is the AHS Worker Thread something that is managed by Borg? (Cluster Manager?)

Jonathan Joo21:12:53

The AHS worker thread is not managed by Borg! It is started along with the JVM via Google's version of a Java Launcher

👍 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:28

This is so interesting! Because all the talks on GC I’ve ever heard, they talk about how we want to spend as close to zero % of cycles on GC! But @jonathanjoo is suggesting that it could go up to 20% — this can’t possibly work in production, right? Everything should get super slow, right?

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:32

“Guaranteed Container OOM”

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:30

“Overconfigured jobs”. 😆

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:03

Simplified tuning --> “we no longer have to figure out what is correct Xmx — set it to container size, and let AHS take care of it from there!”

Diego León21:12:16

In Java as normally you do some apps profiling before a go-live to set up the values of memory, as this is strongly related to the hw/containers you are going to need to provision, but sometimes you get oversized instances due to this uncertainty 🥴 Great solution to this problem!!! @jonathanjoo

🔥 1
❤️ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:27

Case Study: AHS for Google Earth!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:23

“100s of OOM/hour to zero”. (100s of Container OOMs per HOUR?!?) (One hallmark of doing things at Google Scale: service easily survives 100s of container OOMs per hour.)

😱 1

Another hallmark of Google Scale: 90TB of RAM!

🤯 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:03

Testamonial from service owners: “we didn’t even notice.” 😆 “no complaints or issues so far!” Seriously, @jonathanjoo, this is so great!!!

❤️ 1

Second Case Study: Google Meet!!!!

Before state: Google Meet: 600 GB RAM container size for those job.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:33

16 TB RAM total to 8 TB RAM. Container size halved.

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)21:12:34

that looked like a ~50-70% decrease in RAM usage… that’s real $$$

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:49

Just one part of Meet — just one job type.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:17

A startling insight from this talk: the most expensive part of infrastructure isn’t compute, it’s RAM.

Jason Cox - Disney21:12:59

@jonathanjoo I may have missed this... so AHS will scale up and down memory setting based on GC - how aggressive is it on those changes (frequency of changes)?

👀 1
Jonathan Joo21:12:33

It depends a lot on how the AHS settings are configured - but one can choose how quickly AHS reacts to GC. So far we've found success with fairly aggressive settings, where the heap is allowed to change frequently (even multiple times per second)

❤️ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:50

“multiple times per second” (!!)

Jason Cox - Disney21:12:20

wow! That's incredible... love it.

@jonathanjoo: @jason.cox loves saving poor developers from themselves. 🙂

💯 1

“this shows that this service was massively overconfigured [for RAM]”

😂 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:16

Throughput before and after: “there was no throughput regression”. And same for Latency. “Dozens of TB RAM saved, with no real impact to service throughput or latency.” (!!!)

🔥 3
🤯 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:45

“why do we even want to upstream to OpenJDK” — “less maintenance burden for us” (the dreaded ‘custom fork!’), “the more use it, the better we can make AHS”

👆 1
👍 1
🎯 1
Chris Austin21:12:47

Another benefit - resource consumption drops and we destroy our planet a little slower.

💯 2
Erwin Will - CarMax21:12:17

would be interesting to see this also presented in environment savings as well

Jason Cox - Disney21:12:11

+1 on getting this into OpenJDK

💯 2
3️⃣ 1
Ken Sipe21:12:16

fantastic work @jonathanjoo!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:44

I had told @jonathanjoo that there’s many huge users of the JVM and Java within this community — and that his work would resonate. If you have people work with the OpenJDK, please reach out to him!!! Let’s get his work in, so we all can benefit. Thank you!! And thank you, @jonathanjoo!!!!

👏 5
🙏 1
🎉 2
Jason Cox - Disney21:12:59

thank you @jonathanjoo!! 👏

Dave Zorko21:12:00

Thanks @jonathanjoo!

Jonathan Joo21:12:41

Thank you all for listening and for your good questions! Hope you took away something from the talk. If you want to connect with me, here's my LinkedIn! http://www.linkedin.com/in/pandaexpress

❤️ 5
🐼 1
Ann Perry - IT Revolution21:12:20

Please welcome, @ross.clanton508 and @steven.leist from American Airlines!

👏 4
Steven Leist21:12:42

Hello everyone!

👋 2

Hello, @steven.leist!!! Thanks for taking some time out of your offsite to join us — I so much loved your Vegas presentation so much! ❤️

👍 1
Ross Clanton22:12:31

Sorry I missed our talk... 😬 Was in our ignite talks at our internal conference... Thank you @steven.leist for covering. I can jump in on remaining questions though 🙂

👋 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:46

“the world’s largest airline — 25% larger than any other!” (I had no idea!!!)

👀 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:46

Guidance purpose: “Caring for people on life’s journey — all decisions we make is guided by that purpose.” ^^^ One of the many things I LOVE about this presentation — about how guiding principles shape decisions, as well as how leaders model them!

❤️ 4
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:20

@steven.leist Has American Airlines always been led so clear guiding principles, or is this something that more recent, and if so, how/when/why? Thank you!!!

👀 1
Steven Leist21:12:40

Several of us came across the Phoenix Project around 2015/16ish. That led us to @genek and then ultimately to DevOps Summit. From there we connected with Target (including bringing out business and finance partners with is to visit Target) and in late 2018 we created our first version of our product taxonomy and in 2019 we pivoted to a product mindset and DevOps. We began creating momentum and then Covid hit and that really ended up being a proof point for our transformation.

☝️ 2
🎉 1
🙏 1
Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere21:12:17

That sounds very familiar @steven.leist! 😁

😀 1
Steven Leist21:12:56

Our “caring” focus really served as the necessary foundation to create an environment that had the necessary “safety” in order for our teams to be willing to try to work differently. That focus on “caring” really started after our merger with USAirways and work we did with Simon Sinek.

🔥 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:57

Really!!! That’s amazing!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:26

Sounds like a huge investment made by leadership — awesome.

Steven Leist21:12:03

Yes. Big investment from our leaders. We also brought in a cross-functional group of our team members (pilots, flight attendants, IT folks, back office folks, mechanics, agents, etc) to help create the “why”. They worked closely with Simon’s team to create a “why” that the entire company could rally around because everyone had input.

🔥 1
❤️ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:15

Thanks so much, Steven! So great to see you in Vegas again, buddy, after so many years!!!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:20

(It was amazing to hear TUI Group presentations, describing how revenue in many sectors of travel went to zero — utterly incredible and awe inspiring.)

💯 2
Chris Austin21:12:29

Mik's interview with Pieter was also interesting - https://projecttoproduct.org/podcast/pieter-jordaan/

OKRs at American Airlines:

🙌 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:23

(I love this story: we said: “break all the rules”; 9 months later; no rules broken, nothing shipped; everyone was frustrated, our bosses were frustrated. What’s wrong?” “We sacrificed a consultant, send them home — but what else do we need?” 😂😂😂

😂 1

@steven.leist: @ross.clanton410 talked about “Caring for people on life’s journey — all decisions we make is guided by that purpose.” Was this the case in the non-tech areas of AA for a long time? Or is this something that was kindled in all areas of AA at the same time, new for everyone? It seems like such a powerful leverage point!!

Steven Leist21:12:55

“Caring for people on life’s journey” is really our company “why” (We brought in Simon Sinek to help us define this). This applies not only to our customers (thank you for flying with us BTW) but also our team members. We want our team to feel cared for as well. We use this “why” for all of our decisions.

“Playbacks: these are meetings that no one misses — hundreds of people attend these meetings.”

“Julie and I don’t summon product teams to us — we go to where they’re at.” (Love this!)

❤️ 1
🎯 1
Shane Brauner21:12:52

“The only thing that likes change is a wet baby” :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

😂 4
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)21:12:27

8 hours to put the COVID response infrastructure in place. Wow! 🤯

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)21:12:17

Now… what else could you do in a single workday? 😉 🙌

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:21

I recently flew to Singapore with @mvk842 and our kids — I was blown away by all the new COVID related documentation needs — I was thinking about this as I was filling all of them in. Kudos to the AA team to make this happen!!!

I’ve also noticed that so many airline staff now work “in front of the kiosk” — one told me, “it’s so much easier to do most of things on kiosk” (as opposed to those 3270 emulation screens, I think) Amazing.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:04

This is so cool to hear, @steven.leist — it doesn’t get old hearing it. 3rd time watching this, and I get goosebumps each time!

Slackbot21:12:08

Reminder: Please submit your feedback for the talks you attended. It’s so valuable for us and the speakers. And after all, feedback is a gift and sharing is caring! Enter your feedback for those talks here: https://doesus2022.sched.com/ https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/files/UATE4LJ94/F04DG7DQMSS/image.png

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)21:12:15

“say ‘no’ to the good so you can say ‘yes’ to the great”

☝️ 1
👏 1
🙌 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:53

“going into a crisis, we have uncanny ability to focus — leaving a crisis, everything is an all you can eat buffet.” “need to so ‘no’ to the ‘good’, so we can say ‘yes’ to the ‘great’” 🔥

“business and tech leaders are totally agreed, before we ever appear in front of our teams”

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:04

teams helping other teams — “we have some time, we can help you develop that” (!!!)

❤️ 1

“many aspire to be managers, but there’s fewer manager roles as you go up — product owner roles are leading large efforts, and many are getting promoted into new roles, coming out of these product roles”.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:19

“If you don’t fall down and skin your knee, we’re not moving fast enough” (!!)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:33

How leaders model the desired cultural attributes — “how our teams show up, we use these themes to #passionate, #selfless, #accountable: ‘this is how #accountable looks like for us.’” Love this on so many dimensions!!!! ❤️

❤️ 1

@steven.leist Do I understand correctly that a lot of these norms were set during the era with help for Simon Sinek?

👀 1
Steven Leist22:12:29

I would say the “caring” part was really influenced by our work with Simon and most of these other learnings have really come from work that have roots in what we have learned from you and others that are part of this IT Revolution movement. We are grateful to all of who have engaged in conversations with us over the years and have shared their learnings. Certainly our friends at Target had a direct impact but many others that are part of this community have also taught us and influenced us. We have more to learn and more to achieve. Looking forward to staying connected with this community. You all rock!

🙏 2
❤️ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:28

Thanks again, @steven.leist — you were fantastic, and I learned so much from your comments today! Say hi to everyone for me!

🙏 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)22:12:30

leadership is so, so important to… well, everything. “caring” is a notable trait for leadership — one that you don’t always hear (and probably should, though)

🎯 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:38

“All the inspiration from all the work I’ve done have come from this community” (Jeepers, that was amazing!)

❤️ 4
🥲 1
💯 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:56

@ross.clanton410 @steven.leist You never have to feel bad about saying “We’re HIRING!!!” 😆

😁 3
Ross Clanton22:12:30

We're HIRING!!! 😁

😀 1
😆 1
❤️ 1
🔥 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:17

THANK YOU @steven.leist!!!! Kudos to you and team for all your amazing achievements!!! 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

👏 7
🙏 2
Steven Leist22:12:29

Thanks everyone for listening! Grateful for all of the learnings others in this community have shared over the years, and we were happy to take a moment to tell our story in case some of our learnings can help you. You can find me on linked in — https://www.linkedin.com/in/stevenleist/

❤️ 3
Slackbot22:12:03

Reminder: That’s a wrap for Day 2 of the Summit, but the Dockside Bar in Gather is always open. Head there if you want to connect with other fellow travelers and keep the conversation going. We’ll see everyone tomorrow for the start of the final day of the Summit at 8:30am CST. https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/files/UATE4LJ94/F04DL04TNFP/image.png