Fork me on GitHub
#discussion
<
2022-12-08
>
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:27

Good morning, everyone! Looking forward to the morning plenary talks — starting in 17 minutes! 🎉

🎉 9
🤙 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:51

ℹ️ For all of you looking for the countdown timer in the “Watch” window, we had some… I believe the technical term is “glitches”… this morning with the video streams. We’re ready to start right at 8:30am CST as planned, though! We just don’t have the countdown timer to watch leading up to that 🙂

👍 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:29

Re: Glitches. We now have music! Condition Green! 😂 🎉 Talks start in 7 minutes! — Your Timer

🎉 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:52

Socks of Extreme Entropy Reduction +7 worked, I think. d20 saving roll made! 🎉

🎉 1
nathenharvey14:12:43

🍿 let’s go Day 3!

🎉 7
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:24

Although, wearing two right socks might change it to only +6 modifier?

❤️ 7
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:45

but they are both unicorns… 🤷 :unicorn_face:

😀 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:57

It was dark this morning! 😆

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:27

@mring It was actually @jeff.gallimore who pointed out to me that they were supposed to be worn Maxine/Unicorn!

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere17:12:55

@genek I had to switch it up today. Still got these at DOES so it counts. 😆 +8 moonshot goal achievability

🎉 1

“No shortages of achievements within this community!” +100!

💯 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:00

Yesterday was “JVM out of memory error” day! 🙂

Chris Ellis (Lockheed Martin)14:12:20

All of the above 😅

☝️ 1
😂 1
Dipesh Bhatia14:12:01

HELL:fire: YEAH !!

🔥 1
Slackbot14:12:07

Reminder: Check out a couple new features for our Slack workspace to help us and to help this community. If you put the 🔖 emoji on a message in Slack, that message will get re-posted in #recommended-resources We’re creating a one-stop shop for all the terrific links and resources you’re sharing. So much to learn out there! And if you put the 🆘 emoji on a message, that message will get re-posted to #help-needed We’ll have a single place for all the help members of this community need — and that we might be able to provide. The asks for help and the inevitable help that follows is what makes this community so special!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:42

Good morning, @paul.gaffney, whose work I so much admire!

👏 4
Paul Gaffney14:12:03

Thanks @genek

Paul Gaffney14:12:13

The admiration is mutual :)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:44

PS: when I heard that all the action was happening in the Home Depot “equipment rental” department, my first reaction was, “I’m sorry, what?” 😂

Marc Poulin14:12:30

People need the attention was one of my first observation when I started my current role.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:30

“Quiet contemplation and reflection.” <-- I hope you’re enjoying life, post CTO of Kohl’s!

❤️ 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:08

i can get behind this. 💯 🎯

💯 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:35

I heard Dr. Bill Lattin, one of early Intel people say how Andy Grove said the same thing: “just when you get tired say something is only when people are starting to get it.”

💯 5
Dan Feizet14:12:15

I've heard it said "If you're not over communicating, you aren't communicating enough." But I like this quote as reassurance for myself, when I start to get frustrated 🙂 Onto the Quote-Wall it goes! 🙂

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:32

One of the big takeaways from DevOps Enterprise Summit Las Vegas was that “fun” is no-kidding an important indicator of effectiveness — which collapses so many dimensions of work. And for that matter, play.

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:57

“understand what business you’re in and what the idealized software expression of that business is.” 🔥

Vlad Ukis14:12:41

would be interested in a spectrum of software expressions of business

Vlad Ukis14:12:46

is there anything like that?

👀 1
Paul Gaffney14:12:05

Fun is definitely a no kidding super important measure of whether you have a productive environment

💯 4
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:33

and it’s so refreshing to hear that come from a senior leader.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:08

i.e., Fun is nearly on the opposite side of spectrum of boring, unpleasant, horrible, etc.

Luke Rettig - Target, Sr Director-Global Inventory Mangement14:12:31

Having fun often comes with having a scenius alongside you. Its a long road to drive cultural change if you are going at it alone.

☝️ 3

I LOVE LOOKING UP PRICES IN 8 DIFFERENT SYSTEMS! 😂

Paul Gaffney14:12:47

It was more like 29 and an inevitable consequence of years of projects

😆 1
nathenharvey14:12:56

I only like looking up prices in 8 different systems if each of those systems is operating at less than 90% CPU utilization.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:50

“The outcomes of decades of the (short-term) annual project pageant” — what could go wrong.

😱 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)14:12:35

The company is the result of the patchwork or cumulative consequences of the annual project pageant :thinking_face:

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:44

@paul.gaffney you are dropping some big truths on us in this talk. it’s awesome.

🙌 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:58

I was marveling again yesterday at the American Airlines presentation from @ross.clanton410 @steven.leist and Julie Rath — and how they so clearly talk about mission and purpose: “Caring for people on life’s journey — all decisions we make is guided by that purpose.” Seems to me that these enduring principles create the opposite of serial project pageants.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:42

(Dealing with Dana in the war room is the opposite of fun.)

⬆️ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:12

Unless you’re Dana, I suppose. 😆

Arun Chawla14:12:48

I love Chris!

❤️ 1
George Kraniotis, Discover, Engineering Director14:12:14

How many of us are thinking about the Chris’s and Dana’s in our work lives?

🙋 1
Paul Gaffney14:12:48

I think the leadership challenge is to take care of people and the company simultaneously. A critical ingredient is ensuring that all of the people understand how the company makes (or loses) money

👏 3
🎯 1
Arun Chawla14:12:21

The Chris and Dana analogy is just so awesome

Jonathan DeMarks14:12:28

A-type personality just means not humble?

Luke Rettig - Target, Sr Director-Global Inventory Mangement14:12:24

I'm thinking of how rewarding it is when you've finally gotten Dana to rethink they way they are working and Dana becomes Chris

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:56

@paul.gaffney Next time we hang out, I’d love to share with you some of my observations and reflections of how universal your claim is — I’ve had the privilege of talking with people who were a part of the Team of Teams story, and the similarities are uncanny. To the point that my claim is: they’re not uncanny similarities, they are actually identical principles at work. And it’s “uncanny” only because it’s a necessary prerequisite of great performance. (which was the gist of the @steve773 /Gene presentation.)

👍 1
👀 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:16

i love this “paint department in the store” and “20 different ways to look up a price” story. so clear… once you say it that way.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:16

Something I’ve stopped actually worrying about, but this presentation makes me think about again: does Dana recognize themselves when they hear this presentation? (I used to wonder about whether people ever actually identify themselves as Sarah in Phoenix Project — especially the person who Sarah is modeled on. 🙂

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:19

:man-raising-hand: I’m a recovering Dana. This community played a big role in moving me toward being an evolving Chris.

🎉 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:24

“Honesty: you can do it all by yourself” <---

Curtis Hamm14:12:11

If you're in a position of influence, yes.

Paul Gaffney14:12:51

I think some percentage of the Dana population (maybe 40%) are inclined to revisit their own beliefs. Unfortunately perhaps 60% are not.

Marc Poulin14:12:57

Hmmm... making me think that the project approach implicitly leads to win-lose negotiation instead of win-win :thinking_face:

💯 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:41

@paul.gaffney Your guess on what % of Danas during this presentation would think, “holy cow, that’s me?”

Paul Gaffney14:12:36

4 out of 10

🔥 1

Strange unsettling realization just now: when it came to product roadmap during my days at Tripwire 15 years ago, I was a Dana. “I know” which feature is most important — anyone who didn’t “know” that were infuriating troublemakers.

Nick Eggleston (free radical)14:12:05

And if you were right at one time then it would tend to reinforce the inner Dana…

Ryan Taylor, Application Architect, Axim Geospatial14:12:12

I don't fully understand product v project. Particularly in an IT consulting org. It's more than just how an effort is funded, right? Where do I go to learn/read/watch more?

Hossain Mohammad14:12:15

Dealing with Dena is not fun 😞

Arun Chawla14:12:51

Specially since they are convinced they are right

Adrienne Shulman14:12:22

“Internal customer crap” :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing: :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing: great conversation starter

nathenharvey14:12:39

working software wins

🏆 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:48

(And of course, watching customers use our software was horrifying, and without a doubt, put into a glaring harsh light that I actually new anything.)

💯 1
Marc Poulin14:12:29

This is so important. Dana potentially learned to work that way.

Paul Gaffney14:12:34

I think Dana definitely learned to work that way. As we know, “unlearning” is a real technique and can be quite effective with some portion of the Dana population.

❤️ 2
Marc Poulin15:12:59

Agreed. I think that, assuming that Dana isn't just out for themselves, teaching them that win-loss is leading to the group failing can really move them fairly quickly.

Marc Poulin14:12:59

It might be that the attitude is what allowed the Dana to succeed. So why change?

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:32

Hypothesis: when it comes to engineered products we need hierarchy, which is why modularity is so important. Not sure how it results to Aristotle, but filing away to process.

Paul Gaffney14:12:46

Hierarchy is our “learned” way to associate with each other (Aristotle). It is actual contrary to human nature however and must be fought (Rousseau).

Paul Gaffney15:12:52

Rousseau basically says: Aristotle observed things accurately but took effect (hierarchy) for cause. Cause is some unnatural self subjugation (capitulation) to “how things are.”

Craig Statham14:12:53

Recently started reading the book "Thinking in Promises" by Mark Burges. So much of this resonates with the ideas of promise theory.

🔖 1
Vlad Ukis16:12:08

what is the book about?

@paul.gaffney You mentioned in your interview of @ckissler that this community should focus on “doing your bosses job” — can you say more on that, and advice you’d give?

Paul Gaffney15:12:00

That is a somewhat long discussion on the tendency I have observed among technology folks where many people are in fact doing their subordinates (in the org chart sense not in the Aristotelian sense) jobs. To correct that, people should start thinking about “how can I be doing what my boss is doing” therefore enabling everyone in the leadership chain to increase their leverage.

💯 1
🔥 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:08

Thank you, Paul!!! Let’s continue this discussion for sure, as I think this is so important for us to get from “here to there!”

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:53

(that interview will be aired “soon”)

Pete Smoot14:12:55

What I worry about is that even if I persevere, experience and inertia for projects will build faster than I can build experience with collaboration.

Mark Persiko15:12:22

I really think we need to do less, we have a thick process, IMHO. We should chat offline next week!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:29

Yes, please reach out to @paul.gaffney and share any relevant stories — I think his work is so important!!

🆘 1
Luke Rettig - Target, Sr Director-Global Inventory Mangement15:12:52

move from being a technologist to a trusted voice at the table - Amen 🙏

❤️ 4
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:14

Thank you, @paul.gaffney!!! I so much appreciate you sharing your learnings — I look forward to what you’ll be teaching us next! 🎉

👏 2
Paul Gaffney15:12:20

My absolute pleasure.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:55

Sorry — no planned Q&A today. That was from Vegas. Sorry for confusion!

😢 1
👍 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:34

Please welcome @georgekraniotis!!! On “The Leftovers!!“”

👏 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:52

Slight correction: from @mik “the leftovers are often the most important, because they’re the platforms that enable.”

Mik Kersten (Project to Product, Tasktop)20:12:30

If you’re on the journey of turning into a tech company, today’s left overs should definitely be tomorrow’s main course! JML put it best here, noting that 50% of your R&D spend should be on ‘leftovers’ (ie, platforms): https://projecttoproduct.org/podcast/jean-michel-lemieux/

🔥 3
Adrienne Shulman15:12:01

Wow... Paul are you suggesting we take refuge in technology, pipelines, platforms, etc because it's easier than confronting the harder problems of leadership, how our companies make money, our actual purpose, etc? 👀That hits. Touche. Especially considering we can be so arrogant about how hard technology is and how special we are for being so technical 😉

❤️ 2
😳 1
💯 2
Paul Gaffney15:12:37

You heard exactly what I was/am saying

‼️ 2
Paul Gaffney15:12:16

And this is related to @genek question about “doing your bosses job”

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:23

One of my fave quotes is “the work I’m doing solves my boss’s boss’s biggest problem.”

❤️ 2
Adrienne Shulman15:12:00

Gotta love a good industry-wide call to action for some honest self reflection. #DOES22 can be so therapeutic. :woman_in_lotus_position:🙏

Paul Gaffney16:12:07

For completeness I think it important to note that this “retreat” is as much an understandable reaction to a strong hierarchy that focuses on the subordination of “tech” to “the business.” When people are not treated as equal participants in the overall enterprise, these “retreats into specialization” are understandable. I think the important message however is that even though this is common none of it is “natural” or right. In fact this superior-subordinate stacking of disciplines is a huge source, though often not identified as such, of unhappiness and no fun.

👍 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:35

(This was one of my questions to @georgekraniotis: how did you end up managing the “leftovers” problem — was it because of something bad you did in the past, or did you volunteer, and if so, why? 😆

George Kraniotis, Discover, Engineering Director15:12:39

Haha. Nothing bad (at least I don’t think so!). I had the hypothesis that we could push the leftovers into product teams…just didn’t know how. As a result, I was tapped to lead the group.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:25

“50% of applications had no business owner.” 🤯 That’s really incredible.

Hossain Mohammad15:12:27

Did I hear is correct that there was no owner for a system..

George Kraniotis, Discover, Engineering Director15:12:57

The system was owned by a technology team….but not a business owner

Leaf (Jessica Roy), MassMutual15:12:14

What if you have the opposite problem - owned by a business team, but no (longer) a tech team? Asking for a friend.

Leaf (Jessica Roy), MassMutual15:12:53

There are people who would scream if you threaten to shut it down, but they are all business people

Leaf (Jessica Roy), MassMutual15:12:45

The problem was "solved" by giving it to a tech team that worked on a similar product written in a completely different tech stack.

George Kraniotis, Discover, Engineering Director15:12:30

ah, that’s a different problem then that requires leadership support. If it’s important to customers, it has to be supported by a tech team.

Leaf (Jessica Roy), MassMutual15:12:09

Thanks... this is all validating my take on this situation 🙂

❤️ 1
Mark Persiko15:12:30

This is every company I’ve worked at: a “feature factory” without ownership of the customer experience.

💯 2
Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:33

I wonder how the autonomous model at Discover compares with AWS :thinking_face:

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:02

Now that I think about this, this is also a consequence of the “annual project pageant” — it leads to “leftovers” that have no enduring value, and no business owner.

☝️ 4
Paul Gaffney15:12:06

There was a question earlier about product vs project (with some excellent replies). This issue of features/systems with no owner is an artifact of project. Product by definition embeds known, durable owners. In project everyone keeps moving on to the “next thing.”

👏 2
👍 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:40

(But I’m massively oversimplifying — what till you hear @georgekraniotis describe some of the mission critical systems that were in the “leftovers” bucket. So, not as simple as I just stated!)

I love the approach of framing the customer journey, and then using that to frame the most critical products.

“allow customers to log in” “send notifications to customers” “change card” All in Leftovers!!! Login! 😆 So good!!!

Marc Poulin15:12:29

This illustrates well that some of the leftover aspects are so because they aren't "exciting"

👆 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:11

Until they crash, and every service fails.

⬆️ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:21

Until they crash, and every service fails. 😆

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:29

Conjecture: And some are exciting and important, but too complicated to disposition/describe/unwieldy/entangled to call a product on its own.

⬆️ 1
Marc Poulin15:12:28

I also wonder if some are outside of the wheelhouse of the product team. Logging in is a very technical subject. If the product team is mostly marketing, they might not think of it or if they do don't feel comfortable owning it.

George Kraniotis, Discover, Engineering Director15:12:57

IMHO - if it touches a customer, either through a customer journey or a platform capability, it must be owned by a product team. Sure, there some product teams may require a more technical one, but everything is owned

⬆️ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:53

Some priorities: reduce mainframe spend, increase resilience.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:54

I love these concrete details, @georgekraniotis — thank you!

👍 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:24

One of the things I love about what @georgekraniotis talks about: these are mission critical, and strategic capabilities for Discover, but were built in a way that came from “project pageant”. 8 customer journeys entangled in 1 app. (And so it was categorized as a Leftover!) 🤯

Mark Persiko15:12:34

This sounds like “refactoring the feature factory.” That would need a lot of buy-in, I’d think!

Mark Persiko15:12:29

By this I mean, courage to overcome silos and convince stakeholders that it’s a value add to have product teams own all the aspects.

🔥 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:20

@georgekraniotis ok, gotta ask: what did you call these “leftovers” internally? (it’s so pithy, but has obvious negative connotations, which you just listed out.)

George Kraniotis, Discover, Engineering Director15:12:33

No, we definitely did not call them leftovers internally. We referenced them as the teams formerly known as “shared services”

Mark Persiko15:12:48

Leftovers are better than gloss-overs!

🔥 1
Marc Poulin15:12:53

The name challenge is a real one. I had a similar situation on my previous project where our team was responsible for the Metagame and all the "not fun" functions of the game. They were not fun, but mission critical.

Curtis Hamm15:12:07

Best Gif ever! :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:40

“You build it, you run it” is a very effective quality process.

💯 2
❤️ 5
Marc Poulin15:12:10

Especially since it also reduces the tendency to make the same mistake over and over again.

Mark Persiko15:12:20

I worked with someone who preached this and wanted to augment the saying: “you build it, you run it, you document it” because of builder churn. But, yes I agree. Keep It Simple and Supportable!

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:39

Yes! Optimize for onboarding. If you can onboard quickly, you have an easy-to-support product.

Vlad Ukis16:12:20

This was exactly one of the big points of my talk on Tuesday 🙂 Cool!

Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:46

First, what happens if we do nothing…

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:51

“some teams constantly paged in middle of night” but issues never fixed. But now fixed / ameliorated! Because it finally got the attention it deserved.

👆 3
Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:25

I’d much rather be woken up early than woken up for an L3 call.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:33

Ah right, @bryan.finster486 — because handling middle of night pages was sent to an external. Nice, @georgekraniotis!

👀 1
Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:13

Yes. Hides the feedback. Hurts quality.

👍 2

Say “let’s shut it down”, and see what happens! 😂 “Hang on a second!” (That got their attention!)

❤️ 2
🔖 2
Erwin Will - CarMax15:12:29

I’ve tried to do this before…they didn’t believe I would do it tho

Vlad Ukis16:12:58

We nearly did that and the entire executive management team understood the criticality of our services, AT LAST 😄

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:11

Guess how much I care about effective testing when I own the operational consequences. 😄

😆 2
👆 2
Vlad Ukis16:12:46

This is exactly what I was talking about in https://videos.itrevolution.com/watch/778246010/ 🙂

❤️ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:06

Thank you so much, @georgekraniotis!! (And I love these LinkedIn QR codes!!!)

👏 1
Marc Poulin15:12:17

👏👏👏👏

Diego León15:12:18

Challenge => handonver the SL3 to product teams 🙂

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:18

Similar journey to what we did in Logistics.

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:27

I really should write that up someday. 😄

Vlad Ukis16:12:09

Cannot wait to read this!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:35

Up next: @nathen.harvey and @amandalewis on State of DevOps (and the astonishing tale of two cities!)

👏 3
nathenharvey15:12:35

stoked to be here! Looking forward to your questions and feedback

❤️ 4
Michael Winslow15:12:43

Present!

👋 1
👏 1
Jonathan Mailhot15:12:17

:rolling_on_the_floor_laughing: was not expecting that start!

💥 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)15:12:32

@nathen.harvey bringing the energy. as always.

❤️ 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:34

Read the Executive Summary!!!!

Michael Winslow15:12:00

Hahaha! I was excited about the Exec Summary!

Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:41

Great excitement and energy!!!

Dave Zorko15:12:45

Solid intro

☝️ 2
Pete Smoot15:12:47

Were any androids harmed in the telling of this story?

nathenharvey15:12:51

I’m taking a poll….would you download an audio-only version of the Accelerate State of DevOps report narrated by….me?!

💯 9
Leaf (Jessica Roy), MassMutual15:12:00

By you and @amandalewis together, and I'm in. This presentation is awesome.

Adrienne Shulman15:12:34

Can you all believe it's only been 1 year since log4shell? Feels like a lifetime ago to me. not sure what that says

Marc Poulin15:12:36

This feels like an eternity ago XD

nathenharvey15:12:37

I still have some holiday shopping to get caught up on

Dave Zorko15:12:44

OH SNAP! time and space

💥 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)15:12:52

@nathen.harvey is that an avocado hat to match your shirt?

❤️ 4
🥑 7
Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:56

Tell me quality is suspect: “#NoDeployFridays”

☝️ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:50

“There are scenes of log4j that are explicit, uses adult language, describes emotions, CVEs, and actual vulnerabilities. If you are prone to flashbacks, please turn off the stream.”

😆 8
😱 2
nathenharvey15:12:53

SBOM FTW!

😉 1
💣 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:54

“how many applications? 2, 3… no… there were 400, Amanda.”

🎁 1
Dave Zorko15:12:02

And here I was yesterday at the conference worried about OOMs and now I have SBOMs

😂 5
Brandon Baker (IT MGR - O'Reilly Auto Parts)15:12:43

Someone should maintain a document of acronyms just for the conference. I bet @sblue will know what to do!

Staci Blue - Stack Overflow for Teams15:12:52

It's definitely something that the DOES community could start up on Stack Overflow!

Istvan Bathazi15:12:37

how about your AC system? or rover on mars... who had SBOM for those?

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:40

Keep those dev costs low!!! :face_vomiting:

Leaf (Jessica Roy), MassMutual15:12:09

"we paid for functionality... not for knowledge, or documentation." 👏 👏 👏

👆 1
🥲 1
Michael Winslow15:12:17

Trigger warning... #microservices dropped off at your company.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:27

(Before I forget — there is a remarkable experience report from Morgan Stanley from Distinguished Engineer @paul.d.foxon their 2+ month log4j remediation effort here — it’s remarkable on so many dimensions: https://videos.itrevolution.com/watch/707884331/)

nathenharvey15:12:07

Yes! Once I become a Certified Really Agile Practitioner

🔥 1
Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:44

Write it up and you can be a SAD Accredited Facilitator.

👍 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:15

“not the likelihood of failure — it’s actual failures. everytime we updated it, something broke.” 😆

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:49

“we update one microservice at a time” (and if tightly coupled, each time we changed one component, it broke everything!).

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:03

“We don’t need CD. Our customers don’t want change that frequently.” Let’s talk about that later today. 🙂

❤️ 2
Diego León15:12:39

beautiful microservices monolith

😁 1
Leah Brown - IT Revolution15:12:40

Want more stories around addressing Log4J/Log4Shell? Check out this amazing free guidance paper: Responding to Novel Security Vulnerabilities. 🔖 https://itrevolution.com/product/responding-to-novel-security-vulnerabilities-learning-from-log4shell-log4j/

thankyou 1
🎯 1
🔖 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:20

“…and the next Log4J CVE…”

nathenharvey15:12:38

batching FTW? 😢

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:43

“hold off deploying until things stabilize, and do it in one big release.” (in this case, very good advice!)

Istvan Bathazi15:12:46

release convoy 🙂

Leah Brown - IT Revolution15:12:56

Also, check out the book Investments Unlimited. Fun fact: Log4J/Log4Shell hit right during the writing of the book and was hugely influential in a lot of the scenes and experiences in the book.

🔖 4
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:51

in a tightly coupled system, where any local failures causes global catastrophe, I think it makes sense to change it in larger batches, to contain the effects, yes?

Ryan Savage15:12:18

oh man i joined late - started listening and reading - really thought our standards started going down hill. You guys all had me worried there for a bit lol.

😂 4
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:12

“older, larger, macroservice”

😂 1
George Kraniotis, Discover, Engineering Director15:12:35

👆New synonym for monolith added to my vocabulary

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:41

“Service001”, “Service002" <-- This is a real thing I’ve really had to support.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:39

“each of the three systems could be independently tested and deployed” (YES!)

Ryan Savage15:12:19

this is just making me sad because its all too familiar. new team i joined literally has multiple microservices that they require we e2e test all together every time and to save duplication they made one pipeline that deploys all of them at the same time. You know - to be more efficient

Diego León15:12:59

beautiful microservices monolith

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:10

But at least they have “microservices”. :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

Vlad Ukis16:12:22

In addition to 1 pipeline, they could make 1 build, 1 repo etc. to make it a reall monlith 😄

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)16:12:21

But microservices!! :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

nathenharvey15:12:53

no, @ryan.savage, as we said at the beginning…this is a fictional story 😂 😢

😅 2
😂 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:41

No, @ryan.savage — this is just entertainment, not a documentary! 😆

Dave Stanke - DORA.dev15:12:24

“Of course… DORA”

Dave Zorko15:12:32

Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area! I'm in...like the Dockside

🎉 2
Jonathan Mailhot15:12:38

"Ohio sure knows how to have fun" 😁

🍻 2
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)15:12:33

i reference DORA, Accelerate, and SODR at least weekly. Often much more frequently than that.

❤️ 3
Pete Smoot15:12:11

I hold up my desktop copy of Accelerate in a Zoom meeting about that often.

❤️ 1
Vlad Ukis16:12:39

@jeff.gallimore how do you ensure people do not ignore you with that kind of repetition (seriously)?

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)21:12:36

@vladyslav.ukis interesting question. i guess i have this mindset about repetition… 1. the repetition might eventually get through. if so, we’re now in a place we can drive more change. ironically, that just happened with someone today. 2. if the repetition makes someone tune out, maybe we’re not in the right place or this isn’t the right time or this isn’t the right fit. time to try something else or go somewhere else…

Vlad Ukis21:12:31

I think, this is a good mindset for repetition! Thx 🙂

💙 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:18

3.8x higher organizational performance

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:20

CI is SO foundational to improving the entire organization.

❤️ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:37

Nice comparison of splitting by population!

vikas15:12:54

You can generate an sbom for container images using https://github.com/anchore/syft - (we used this effectively during the log4shell cves) which now seems to be incorporated into the https://docs.docker.com/engine/sbom/ as well.

🔖 1
👏 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:57

“we talked about 2 of our 400 applications” 😆

😂 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:09

“a long tale/tail” 😆

😂 3
😄 1
nathenharvey15:12:36

and so many spreadsheets

Amanda Lewis15:12:31

I might say that a few hundred times a day :)

😂 1
Michael Winslow15:12:40

You 2 are breaking ALL the presentation rules!!!

😆 3
Arun Chawla15:12:43

I need to show DORA to NWS Operations. I have an NWS story for those interested

👂 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:59

Join DORA Community of Practice!

🔖 1
Jason Cox - Disney15:12:07

Great contact slide 🙂

nathenharvey15:12:47

Shout out to Olivia Lewis, Amanda’s daughter, for the great artwork!

nathenharvey15:12:14

Join the group….

Amanda Lewis15:12:16

We have moved our next discussion to December 15th, instead of the 12th. We hope you can all join us!

👍 1
Ryan Taylor, Application Architect, Axim Geospatial15:12:33

Absolutely loved this presentation format. You nailed it. Very enjoyable, informative. At points it had a very "adam ruins everything" vibe and I am here for it.

👏 5
🙏 1
Amanda Lewis15:12:35

Please join the community at dora.community

Pete Smoot15:12:39

Sorry, "go to dora.community"? That's Slack, email, something else?

Michael Winslow15:12:46

Amazing as always!

👏 2
🙏 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:56

Thank you, @nathen.harvey and @amandalewis!!!!! Brilliantly done!!! Bravo! 🎉

👏 2
nathenharvey15:12:09

https://dora.community is a site…there’s a mailing list, we have some community meetings, and more things coming

🔖 2
thankyou 1
Jonathan Mailhot15:12:16

Great time for a break, I would not want to directly follow up that presentation 🤐

😂 2
Istvan Bathazi15:12:16

Absolutely fantastic talk!!! thank you @nathen.harvey and @amandalewis!!!!!

And congrats on the new role as Engineering Director at Amazon Music, @michael_winslow!!!

🎉 7
❤️ 1
nathenharvey15:12:08

We’d love to come share more about the research and learn from you and your team!

nathenharvey15:12:39

Thank you for all the feedback and apologies for any nightmares our story had your reliving

👏 6
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:47

Thank you, all the morning presenters! Catch you all later in the day, and here for the awesome afternoon plenary talks!!!! 🎉

👏 5
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:12

PS: utterly brilliant use of the medium, @nathen.harvey and @amandalewis!

👆 2
gratitude-thank-you 3
nathenharvey15:12:25

The practices and capabilities your team uses to accelerate software delivery are also used to improve your response to security vulnerabilities. Let your leadership invest in whichever of those two they prefer and then it’s our job to ensure we are improving the capabilities that matter.

🎯 3
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)16:12:08

throughput, stability, and security can all improve together

Slackbot16:12:29

Reminder: The action has moved to the breakouts! Join the following channels to interact with speakers live while their talks air: #discussion-track-1 #discussion-track-2 #discussion-track-3 #discussion-track-4

Ben Grinnell - North Highland and DOES PC18:12:39

Just a reminder for anyone wanting to join the DevOps and outsourcing workshop, this is the zoom link - https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2206711315?pwd=NXF5Y1MvakZsK05NNjhiUG9sMFJrdz09

🎉 3
Slackbot21:12:09

Reminder: The final plenary sessions are starting again in 5 minutes. Start making your way back to your browser. https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/files/UATE4LJ94/F04DG604H1C/image.png

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:08

Who is interested in networking after the formal talks for #happy-hour at the bar in Gather? https://app.gather.town/app/kATASYhmxzaVMLO8/DevOps%20Enterprise%20Summit. (center of the virtual room)

🎉 2
Chris Austin21:12:47

For a short time, but I'm out this evening, sadly. Hoping that #C015FGB49UK has events throughout the year, because I'd love to stay connected to this community between now and the next DOES

🤙 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:54

I’m so delighted that up next are @douglas.murphy and @raquel.kusters from Daimler Truck, North America!! 🎉 🎉

🎉 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:28

(Loving the videos this week that show the higher purpose of organizations — Daimler and John Deere. So good!)

❤️ 4
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:36

@raquel.kusters Hey, that was Saajan at the end of that video, wasn’t it?!?

Raquel Kusters21:12:44

Sure was! We were able to get him in after all.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:53

“Our goal is to take Daimler Truck to the next level of leading our industry from trucking solution provider to game change” (!!)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:54

“One of our first analytics use cases was using streaming telematics, rrom connected Freightliner Cascadias operating out in the real world, this laid the foundation for our iot analytics data lake in the cloud” (!!)

Pete Smoot21:12:27

So, you collect metrics on collecting metrics?

⁉️ 1
Doug Murphy21:12:15

That’s a good way to say it!

❤️ 1
Pete Smoot21:12:50

Although I'm clearly dumbing it down--you do more than collect metrics.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:58

(It was mind-blowing to hear about the impacts of supply chain disruption to the transportation business, especially around replacement parts, and what they’re doing about to ameliorate it!)

☝️ 1
Doug Murphy21:12:38

Yes it’s a huge focus for us.

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere21:12:01

Is this video going to be available in the Video Library? I'm not seeing it in there today. cc @alex @annp

Use other profile21:12:04

Will be there after it airs!

👍 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:10

“I’m proud that my team is highly networked across the organization” — this was so great to see, and obvious at Data Day, where all the different business units congregated around how they were using data to solve big problems!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:04

“billions of miles, 100Ks of trucks, 10Ks of fleets” (!!!). 1 year of GPS data!

🤯 1
Pete Smoot21:12:45

I sure hope you call that a lightning bolt map.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:08

“reverse geocoding; start and end cities; most traveled routes” like air traffic control, but for trucks; elevation changes, straightness. So cool!!!

☝️ 1
Jonathan Mailhot21:12:24

I love data! 😍

🤙 1
❤️ 1
Pete Smoot21:12:08

Endlessly fascinating. Do you have data on what sort of cargo the truck is moving? Perhaps getting a milk truck moving is more urgent than a load of bricks.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:37

This was amazing to hear — current and upcoming regulations have huge impact for manufacturers of trucks/cars, the fleets that employ them. Driving so much investment and so much CapEx!

Doug Murphy21:12:05

Absolutely. California is setting aggressive timelines for phase out of diesel-powered commercial vehicles, and many states are following.

👏 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:47

Did I get that right, @raquel.kusters @douglas.murphy?

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:25

I mean, holy cow, talk about a huge bet, and how important data is on how much to spend, where, density needed, etc. Charging infrastructure!

👆 3
Pete Smoot21:12:03

Whether 1.21 gigawatts is enough charging capacity in Twin Pines.

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)21:12:42

“not a resourcing problem… it becomes a prioritization problem” so much truth here.

👏 1
💯 1
👍 1
🤙 1

The part about duplicative efforts across the org struck home — especially when the need for data analytics is so high, and number of people with the appetite to solve the problem !

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:36

Another great thing about Data Data: the day before was training, both on statistics, but also on tools that are favored by Doug and Raquel’s group!

Pete Smoot21:12:23

I like the formalization.

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)21:12:06

prioritizing “measurable business value” first.

☝️ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:10

“40 hour effort: just needs a conversation, let’s go! 200 hour effort: more conversation largest use cases: business case, and let’s get financial controllers involved, too!”

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)21:12:14

@douglas.murphy what were some of the other prioritization criteria? i can imagine some of the ideas were high risk/high reward and uncertain at the start.

☝️ 1
Doug Murphy21:12:47

Early on, yes we tried to take on some big bets that supported building our newer platform. Over time we’ve tried to keep a mix of those and the smaller, low risk initiatives. Also aiming for a blend of revenue enhancement and soft benefits in our total portfolio.

thankyou 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)21:12:39

a portfolio approach. excellent!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:39

Doug, thank you so much for that amazing presentation and these even more amazing explanations!!

👍 1
Jonathan Mailhot21:12:13

Oh I love that they have kept the blooper!!! ❤️

❤️ 4
Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere21:12:50

We had plenty of bloopers in our John Deere talk. @annp @alex @genek that might be a fun addition... A blooper reel to show that speakers don't do it perfect in one take. 😁

💯 1
Doug Murphy21:12:00

Haha! Oh well. Yes @genek I hope to be featured in the upcoming blooper reel.

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:13

Bloopers add value as a viewer of the video

💯 2
Jonathan Mailhot21:12:48

IMHO, everything that makes people more human has value. 🙂

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:42

Up next: Dr. @steve773 and me!

❤️ 2
👏 5
🙌 2
🐼 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:45

From @steve773: paraphrasing: “I saved their book!” 😆

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere21:12:08

Thanks for presenting @raquel.kusters and @douglas.murphy! That's a talk I'm going to need to re-watch a couple times to fully absorb!

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:52

There are so many I need to re-watch -- especially when I am not multitasking

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:01

Doug / Raquel, you can find @mring and @willardamyl amazing presentation from Day 1 here! https://videos.itrevolution.com/watch/778295505/

❤️ 1
Doug Murphy21:12:58

Thank you @mring ! Appreciate the feedback

🙌 1
Raquel Kusters22:12:25

Thank you @mring ! I'm glad you enjoyed it 🙂

🙌 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:20

“We should be somewhat surprised that there are winners and losers in commercial competition…”

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:40

“same inputs, same environment of which they compete, same knowledge. but drastically different outputs”

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:46

“must look for the uncommon causes.”

Jonathan Mailhot21:12:26

friends pivot

😀 1
Carl Chesser21:12:07

We planned to move a couch, but discovered when we got there it was a pull-out couch... 😦

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:05

What did you do for a week together in Boston, @steve773 and @genek? Is there video?

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:52

Trapped ourselves in a conference room for 4.5 days, with promise that we wouldn’t leave until we have manuscript shape.. shaped.

😮 1
Luke Rettig - Target, Sr Director-Global Inventory Mangement21:12:55

i hope Steve and Gene painted some small sample slabs of each sample color in each room, showed it to Mariam and Margueritte for feedback, before they moved any furniture

😆 1
👆 3
Dave Zorko21:12:10

Instructions unclear, painted couches in all apartments and moved couches outside

😆 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:40

A surprising insight: by stealing people from one team to help another team, problems start cascading and rippling out. breaking the promises of modularity.

❤️ 5
Pete Smoot21:12:03

And no one is going to trust Steve or Gene for anything ever again.

Margueritte Kim (CEO, IT Revolution)21:12:09

“Bosses, Margueritte and Miriam” - never gets old. 😆

💪 1
😆 5
❤️ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:24

Just start pulling in people off the street...

Carl Chesser21:12:51

mythical couch mover month...

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:17

That's exactly the book I was thinking of...

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:43

Of course, it turns out there's a homeless sheter nearby so there's lots of people outside...

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:31

Therefore a neighbor starts a Movers and Painters certification program

Hossain Mohammad21:12:07

Have we witnessed this scenario before? I think we all have 🙂

🎉 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:28

What should be made even clearer in v2 of this: all the talented movers and painters were trapped in the system that Steve and Gene created. And unleashed in the second system that Steve and Gene created.

Curtis Hamm21:12:42

Room team = Product team? They can complete the whole cycle.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:43

Amount of communication and coordination goes down. And yet quality of that communication/coordination is far higher. Instead of communication/coordination, they are collaborating.

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere21:12:51

I'm just here for @mvk842’s roasting... 🍿

Dipesh Bhatia21:12:37

Seems like our global moving in the office 🙂 Some people didn't get the memo saying you are moving today .

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere21:12:54

P.S. Margueritte's Lightning Talk from Vegas not yet being up on the Video Library is a crime against conference organizers everywhere. 😁

Margueritte Kim (CEO, IT Revolution)21:12:08

Believe me. This is fodder for next year’s Lightning Talk. Publishing the content: a tale of three breakouts.

❤️ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:06

Wait.. what? I had to miss Vegas in person... where is this lightning talk video of which you speak??

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:53

Is there a secret video?

👀 1
Margueritte Kim (CEO, IT Revolution)22:12:13

Not secret! We are just still (!!!) working with the vendor. It’s coming.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:08

The two systems are absolutely identical, except for how Steve and Gene configured the system.

Pete Smoot21:12:40

With the low coupling teams, you've created a problem. What happens if two teams get into conflict over where to store furniture? BOth want to use the whole basement. Perhaps Gene and Steve spend their time resolving that conflict over a shared resource.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:49

Risks are high when you’re in production. (Tentatively called “the danger zone”)

Leaf (Jessica Roy), MassMutual21:12:58

Sequel book is when building security arrives

😂 4
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:39

Far better when you’re in a more forgiving when you’re in planning/preparation — when you can contemplate, a think through a reconfiguration of the system.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:24

I’ve heard Steve say: in production, you’re at gross cognitive disadvantage — environment controls you, and you cannot control the environment.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:52

That insight: allowing “stealing people from other rooms to help” couples the rooms together, causing problems to escape and spread.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:34

The opposite condition: having some spare capacity (e.g., having person on bench, unallocated) that can jump and help, which stabilize, without impacting other rooms.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:14

Planning and preparation: example: Colonel John Boyd: where he created the fighter playbook, inventorying all the moves and countermoves, allowing pilots in production (combat) to react faster and win (something like 100:1 or undefeated record in mock air combat) I love this interpretation of OODA loop.

Mark Persiko21:12:46

sed 's/winners/successful companies/g'; sed 's/losers/unsuccessful companies/g', please? Sounds less personal. Point of harnessing brainpower and coordination not lost, though. And great narrative.

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:18

What are we supposed to do at http://SeeToSolve.com?

👀 1
👆 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:33

shaping space: creating modular structures by eliminating dependencies between them shaping time: creating modularity characteristics, even in interdependent steps (more on this to come)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:26

For me, the problems when you have three interdependent steps of “move paint move” divided into two parties can be super, super huge, and look exactly what happens in devops.

Chris Austin21:12:45

Every time Gene is on camera I'm tempted to screenshot and try to read the book titles - I always need more for my queue. Any chance you could post a photo of your bookshelf?

❤️ 2
Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere21:12:40

Is it hard to find a particular book @genek? My daughter organizes her phone apps purely based on the color of the icon (so "purple" folder, "blue" folder, etc.). I can't find anything and it drives me crazy!

😆 2
Usharani Jerath21:12:32

I did just that yesterday :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing: Could only make out 9 titles 😆

Hahah! I’ll send it to you — DM me a reminder!

❤️ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:06

Actually, can you make a video where you mention each book and what you learned from it? @genek (sincere request)

❤️ 4
🔖 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:38

4,500 Andon cord pulls per day. Average worker will pull Andon cord every 40 minutes!! (!!!)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:53

i.e., you can create a system that can do 4500 Andon cord pulls per day in the Move/Paint example, by putting in a floor lead, whose job is to help rooms when they need help. If that person becomes overwhelmed, add more floor leads (or better yet, put those people in the room teams.)

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere21:12:55

Hmm... Thinking of this from an org structure lens as well... Orgs focusing on fewer managers and more engineers, but possibly stretching managers / leads too thin...

🤯 1
Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere21:12:22

Fewer layers is one thing. Fewer managers overall is different... manager-team ratio...

🔖 1
Leaf (Jessica Roy), MassMutual22:12:32

Connected, though. If you have more managers, then the managers' bosses have more people reporting to them.

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere22:12:52

Interesting... So it's then a matter of, "what (and who) are optimizing for?"

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere22:12:18

"Optimizing for ___________ also means sub-optimizing for _____________."

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:24

This has been the primary area of discussion since Vegas: coherence. “teams can work independently” --> “teams are coherent, form a coherent whole”

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:22

In the first scenario, the system was only coherent at the highest level, at the level above Steve and Gene — everything was coupled together. In contrast, in second scenario, each room team was a coherent whole, able to work independently.

🤯 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:18

when work is smeared across too many teams, it is coupled, and requires so much “leadership oversight” to keep work moving.

👏 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:53

in CPU, functions are given a chunk of real estate on chip, and don’t share with anyone — enforcing modular boundaries, keeping them decoupled of each other.

👏 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:20

interfaces: not just for software architecture.

💡 1
👏 1
Chris Austin22:12:36

Of course - Conway's Law and Team Topologies interaction modes 🙂

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:18

life would be very different if we had to share chairs between dining room, living room, and all the bedrooms.

Arne Brasseur (CEO - Gaiwan, he/him)22:12:08

Also an argument for not making code too DRY, some duplication is ok, if it keeps a copy close to where it's needed, and where it can evolve separately.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:22

shared resources: makes it more difficult in design, and more fragile in operations.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:00

Up next: the amazing @forrestbrazeal!!!!!!

🎉 4
🎵 2
👏 2
Forrest Brazeal22:12:30

Let's do this!! I'm around for any questions

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:08

Hello, @forrestbrazeal!!!!!! Wooo!!! 🎉 🎉🎉🎉

🎉 6
❤️ 1
Margueritte Kim (CEO, IT Revolution)22:12:56

High high highlight of DOES LV!

🎉 4
🔥 2
💯 3
🎹 1
Mark Persiko22:12:56

This is where I first learned of @forrestbrazeal! You’ve made learning fun from acloud.guru on!

Forrest Brazeal22:12:14

So I am actually in the process of giving the old FaaS and Furious resource hub a much-needed facelift - you can get a secret sneak peek of the new site at https://goodtechthings.com!

upvotepartyparrot 1
Arun Chawla22:12:36

Pouring a 🥃 as I settle back

Arun Chawla22:12:30

This is awesome!!

Jonathan Mailhot22:12:32

👏 👏 👏

👏 3
Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere22:12:35

"If you want to change into a butterfly, you gotta break down into goop and die!" :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)22:12:48

@forrestbrazeal is my hero.

🔥 5
🎉 1
🍷 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:50

Now can we get @forrestbrazeal and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17o1OlroNSE to collaborate?

😆 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:55

@forrestbrazeal Phoenix Project The Musical

👍 1
👆 3
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:18

Part 1 of the DevOps Trilogy

Aurora Gaimon22:12:48

Can we find songs in Spotify? 🙂 🎶

🤞 2
Arun Chawla22:12:19

OMG where do we find the DEVOPS reorg rag!

Forrest Brazeal22:12:19

There's also a "studio" version of it here (but the live version is about 60bpm faster! adrenaline!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDcaRklX7q4&amp;lc=UgxoIUV9_woNieSAr_R4AaABAg

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere22:12:27

So glad you had an opportunity to do this live @forrestbrazeal and feed off the energy in the room!

❤️ 2
Jonathan Mailhot22:12:46

I'm just in awe!!! So good!!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:59

@forrestbrazeal @mvk842 and me the night before Day 1 — before he started inspecting the piano, shortly after they moved it onto the stage. 😆 (Like pilot walking around the plane before flight. 🙂

❤️ 3
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)22:12:09

“technically I’m my own VP” :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:14

OMG. “I think technically I’m my own VP!”

❤️ 1
Margueritte Kim (CEO, IT Revolution)22:12:22

“Technically I’m my own VP!” THE BEST LINE EVER.

❤️ 5
💯 1
Margueritte Kim (CEO, IT Revolution)22:12:44

Jinx Jinx Jinx @genek @jeff.gallimore

Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:21

Sponsored by McKinsey

😂 4
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:41

Now can we get @jason.cox to help produce...

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:02

Curious proximity of McKinsey and Disney…. Saw this the other day:

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:36

Something amazing (and also a bit heartbreaking) — how much that song resonates with people. It’s amazing the read the replies to @forrestbrazeal’s tweet: https://twitter.com/forrestbrazeal/status/1577298602371809281

❤️ 3
🤙 1
🔥 1
Patrick Yip22:12:59

The songs are great!

Jonathan Mailhot22:12:45

Being there at that moment must've been magical!

upvotepartyparrot 1
Balwant Kamboj22:12:19

Thanks @forrestbrazeal amazing songs. You are the highlight of #DOES22

❤️ 1
🤙 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)22:12:44

this rap is crrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzyyyyyyyyy good

🔥 4
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:07

@forrestbrazeal Yesterday was “JVM OOM” day — two talks on ameliorating slow starts and memory usage. 😆

🎉 1
Mark Persiko22:12:33

@forrestbrazeal commission: “The GraalVM Growl”

😆 1
😂 1
Jonathan Mailhot22:12:53

ovation

upvotepartyparrot 4
👏 5
🔥 8
🤙 1
💯 2
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)22:12:43

i think we need to get the lyrics to that rap.

🤙 2
👆 2
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:07

We've done inadvertent smoke tests 😂

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)22:12:33

tying the hood into the sewer system? hmmm… sounds like some system architectures i’ve seen, too…

😂 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:03

Wait... did't we hear earlier this week about a supercomputer literally catching fire?

😆 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:21

@forrestbrazeal were you at all surprised by how deeply these songs have resonated with the technology community?

Forrest Brazeal22:12:10

It's become clear to me that we're all a lot more broken than I thought.

😭 4
❤️ 2
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:30

you've just scratched the surface

Forrest Brazeal22:12:50

just met a Cloud Resume Challenger this week who's currently working underground fulltime doing construction in a mine - can't wait to share his story with you all at the next event!

❤️ 8
👀 1
thankyou 1
🔥 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:10

The most awesome combination of credentials ever.

💯 2
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:44

Live troubleshooting of various kind of flows...

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:52

he has a better grasp of business continuity than I did as a filesystem QA at Sun, where I routinely kept crashing the NFS server, preventing 50 kernel devs from working.

😳 2
Arne Brasseur (CEO - Gaiwan, he/him)22:12:32

Imagine what Solaris could have been 😂

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:42

Hahaha! Actually, that’s hilarious — this was the team that was working on the Sun fast fsck filesystem, and later bringing that to Solaris!!! (I was one of the first people to run a dev build of Solaris, which I thought was such an honor — only much later did I realize that it was because I wasn’t doing anything important enough to stay on SunOS. 😂

Slackbot22:12:19

Reminder: Please submit your feedback for the talks you attended. It’s so valuable for us and the speakers. And after all, feedback is a gift and sharing is caring! Enter your feedback for those talks here: https://doesus2022.sched.com/ https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/files/UATE4LJ94/F04DG7DQMSS/image.png

Dan Feizet22:12:25

"Let's not ask what's on his shirt" ... meanwhile, I couldn't stop worrying about what was on his face :face_vomiting:

😅 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:38

@forrestbrazeal a case study of this team over time that has hired so many non-traditional folks would be interesting

👀 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:39

(because it was kind of fun. but it explained to me how bad my judgement was… 🙂

Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:10

What? rotations to develop different skills??

😂 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:41

Just keep closing those tickets, @nickeggleston. 😆

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:00

(even though 80% of the tickets were created by people who have left the org. 😆

Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:07

A model to develop talent like you're talking about would be great in tech. @forrestbrazeal

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:20

“everyone in this industry got here because someone, at some point in time, took a risk on you. how are you paying that forward?”

❤️ 17
Mark Persiko22:12:06

This is the best coda to a tech conference I’ve ever seen. But I have a question: how many companies still subscribe to the belief that completing a four-year college degree is a prerequisite to working in a corporate environment? With zero experience, that is what I was told that set me apart, in the early 90's. That now admittedly seems archaic.

Mark Persiko22:12:08

And, that company really did teach me more on the job than I learned in my CS degree.

Mark Persiko22:12:17

And they were prepared to hire for that.

Mark Persiko22:12:23

Pay it forward, indeed!

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)22:12:29

wonderful, meaningful call to action, @forrestbrazeal!

👏 11
💯 2
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)22:12:33

i’m not crying. you’re crying!

❤️ 4
😭 6
👀 1
Dan Feizet22:12:09

No, no, I'm just dicing up some onions for dinner!

🧅 1
Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere22:12:03

Who the hell is peeling onions over here?!

😂 2
👆 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:05

Thank you so much, AGAIN, @forrestbrazeal!!!! 🎉

❤️ 6
👏 9
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:31

We need to keep hearing more from @forrestbrazeal

Dakota Wandro22:12:31

@forrestbrazeal that was amazing. So great

👏 4
Arun Chawla22:12:55

👏 what an end 👏👏👏

👏 4
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:56

Thanks @genek for bringing @forrestbrazeal to the party and sharing his gifts and message

👆 1
Forrest Brazeal22:12:59

Thank you so much for listening and chiming in! Please reach out if there is anything I can do to help connect you with some of these awesome Cloud Resume Challengers.

❤️ 9
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:16

Will you be around on Slack generally, or is there a different locus of activity for you?

Forrest Brazeal14:12:22

If you mention me on this Slack I should get notified - but always feel free to email me at <mailto:forrest@goodtechthings.com|forrest@goodtechthings.com>

Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:51

It's time for #C015FGB49UK!!

🍻 3
Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere22:12:08

THANK YOU ALL for the great learnings and connections this week! And to all the organizers for another great conference!!! And to @genek, the Program Committee and organizers for the opportunity for @willardamyl and I to tell John Deere's story!

Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:41

And as we all now (hopefully) #C015FGB49UK is best spent at the Bar on https://app.gather.town/app/kATASYhmxzaVMLO8/DevOps%20Enterprise%20Summit

🥃 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:15

Thank you @alex and tech team!!

🙌 2
Arun Chawla22:12:53

Thank you for a fantastic conference!!

Chris Donahue22:12:58

Thanks everyone for another Amazing Conference!

Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:29

Yes Yes Yes keep the spirit of the conference going throughout the year!

❤️ 2
Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)22:12:37

Thanks, @genek @annp @mvk842 @leahb and everyone else (I’m bad at names) from IT Rev for another inspiring event.

👏 5
❤️ 9
Lucy Softich, IT Revolution (she/her)22:12:16

Still time to grab a free ebook on your way over to Gather! https://members.itrevolution.com/free-ebooks

Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:23

Wait... what? It's over?! 😭

😭 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:17

*the official virtual bar of the DevOps Enterprise Summit. (hehe)

Istvan Bathazi22:12:30

Thank you for all the organizer for this fantastic event @genek @annp @mvk842 @leahb

❤️ 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:40

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!! 🙏 🎉❤️

❤️ 11
thankyou 7
🎉 6
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:15

THANKS TO YOU AND THE WHOLE TEAM FOR MAKING THIS POSSIBLE!