Good morning, all! Programming starts in 27m! ๐ŸŽ‰

๐ŸŽ‰ 6
๐Ÿ”ฅ 7
๐Ÿ™Œ 2
Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere14:12:40

Good morning all! Who else is wearing lucky socks today? ๐Ÿ˜ :unicorn_face:

๐Ÿ”ฅ 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:02

Would you believe I didnโ€™t know for over a year that these socks came in non-matching pairs โ€” until @mvk842 and @jeff.gallimore pointed out that I was supposed to wear them as @mring is: one Maxine, one Unicorn. (I was wearing them 2x Maxine, or 2x Unicorn. Ooops! ๐Ÿ˜† )

โ˜๏ธ 1
๐Ÿ˜ 2
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:12

โ€ฆand another insider tip: the sock with maxine goes on the right footโ€ฆ so she is pointing at the unicorn on the left foot. :unicorn_face:

๐Ÿคฏ 2
Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere14:12:14

The socks did not come with a manual... ๐Ÿ˜

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:54

I am! :unicorn_face:

โค๏ธ 3
๐Ÿงฆ 1
Gunjan Taleja14:12:47

Morning.

๐Ÿ‘‹ 2
Adrienne Shulman14:12:50

Good Morning friends!

๐Ÿ‘‹ 2
Srikanth Devineni14:12:19

Good Morning.

๐Ÿ‘‹ 1
Arun Chawla14:12:23

Good morning!

๐Ÿ‘‹ 1
Chris Donahue14:12:35

Good Morning everyone! Cheers to an exciting day.

๐Ÿ‘‹ 1
Adrienne Shulman14:12:22

How's the weather where you are? Overcast and gray where I am... a perfect day to stay inside for a conference ๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Heather Bannon14:12:18

Ditto here in Chicago, @ashulman

โ˜๏ธ 2
Arun Chawla14:12:51

Overcast, gray and raining in DC

โ˜๏ธ 3
Balwant Kamboj14:12:10

Same here in Waterloo, Ontario

Arun Chawla14:12:00

A virtual conference just seems perfect for a day like today

โค๏ธ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:00

So delighted that youโ€™ll be sharing your fantastic experience reports this morning, @mring, @willardamyl, and then Dr. @arun.chawla!!! And later in the morning, we have @robert.wood!

โค๏ธ 4
๐Ÿ’ฅ 2
๐Ÿ™Œ 4
Amy Willard - John Deere14:12:33

We are excited to share our journey and connect with folks the rest of the week!

Luke Rettig - Target, Sr Director-Global Inventory Mangement14:12:20

did an 8 degree AM run this morning in Minneapolis ๐Ÿฅถ

โค๏ธ 2
๐Ÿ˜ฌ 3
๐Ÿƒ 1
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:51

Thanks for such a fantastic talk in Vegas two months ago, @lucas.rettig! Your talk and @michael_winslow led to four โ€œcareer talksโ€ this week!

โค๏ธ 6
Adrienne Shulman14:12:00

vegas was 2 months ago? feels like yesterday... I was thinking how impressed I am by that short feedback loop!

โค๏ธ 1
Haendel Dorfeuille14:12:25

Good morning!!!!!

๐Ÿ‘‹ 3
Dave Zorko14:12:02

Good morning all!

๐Ÿ‘‹ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:25

Purely FYI: stream has started! (My desktop was lagging by 90 seconds โ€” had to refresh. ๐Ÿ™‚

Balwant Kamboj14:12:52

Good morning all!

๐Ÿ‘‹ 1
Girisha Lingaiah14:12:45

Good Morning All

๐Ÿ‘‹ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:58

(In the talk, I mentioned that there are now 1075 talks in the Video Library โ€” incidentally, there was just a bunch more videos added this morning โ€” a bunch of the breakout talks that are airing this week. ๐Ÿ™‚)

๐Ÿ™Œ 4
๐Ÿ‘ 4
Adrienne Shulman14:12:07

Love the call out to the scientific method! ๐Ÿ”ฌ๐Ÿงช

โค๏ธ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:27

No repeat experience reports! (The last time we did that was in 2014, at our first conference. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:06

I reference this audit panel often when showing people there is hope in building relationships with auditors and transforming into new ways of working. https://videos.itrevolution.com/watch/485153001/

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:44

The talks on careers this week: Dr @drandremartin, @karthik.gaekwad @leslie_chapman @rradclif โ€” I had mentioned how much I loved the talks a couple weeks ago from @lucas.rettig and @michael_winslow

๐Ÿ‘ 1
โค๏ธ 1
Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere14:12:12

"This is a community that loves helping each other." ๐Ÿ’ฏ

โค๏ธ 5
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:40

Speaking of Brian Eno, he was recently interviewed in the NY Times โ€” no mention of scenius, but many wild stories from his wild career: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/11/14/magazine/brian-eno-interview.html

nathenharvey14:12:16

I love the scenius idea from Brian Eno. Sticking with the musical themeโ€ฆIโ€™ve long posited that Rick Rubin is a DevOps visionaryโ€ฆtearing down walls since 1986

๐Ÿ‘ 2
๐Ÿ”ฅ 3
๐ŸŽต 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:43

Ah, another thank you goes to out to @james.moverley and @nickeggleston!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:02

โ€œno shortagesโ€ (yet.) ๐Ÿ™‚

Nick Eggleston (free radical)14:12:30

Thanks to you for creating the conference that makes this community possible

Rosalind14:12:31

There are always new stories

๐Ÿ’ฏ 2
Adrienne Shulman14:12:41

Experimenting with virtual format, doing them smaller and more frequent??! Sounds very devopsy if I do say so myself. Excited to see how it plays out !

๐Ÿ’ฏ 3
๐Ÿ‘ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:56

(Was thinking of your presentation, @nathen.harvey and @amandalewis, when I mentioned โ€œonline conferences are a new mediumโ€ ๐Ÿ™‚)

๐Ÿ˜‚ 2
โ˜• 1
nathenharvey14:12:57

I hope attendees have at least half as much fun watching as we did recording ๐Ÿ˜‚ โ˜•

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere14:12:12

So.. expecting a lot of VFX and post-production in the talks this week, @genek? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:37

Oh yes! Wait till you see what @nathen.harvey and @amandalewis pull off โ€” you wonโ€™t believe your eyes. ๐Ÿ˜†

๐Ÿ‘€ 1
๐Ÿ‘ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:36

PS: that was so fun, bringing Slack into the plenary presentations in Vegas.

๐Ÿ’ฏ 2
๐Ÿ‘ 5
Nick Eggleston (free radical)14:12:27

The slack stream to the side was a great addition and really brought interactivity to the stage

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:25

Main reason for adding info on yourself to Slack profile: it makes it easier for people you interact with to interact with you in a more useful way with you. ๐Ÿ™‚

๐Ÿ‘ 3
๐ŸŽฏ 1
nathenharvey14:12:28

thanks for the nudge. found my profile was more than 4 years out of date!

Gunjan Taleja14:12:41

#slackworksReallyWell

โ˜๏ธ 2
Keith Wiseman14:12:16

Slack > Teams

โค๏ธ 3
โž• 2
Theresa Somerville14:12:31

Good morning!

๐Ÿ‘ 1
๐Ÿ‘‹ 3
๐Ÿ™‚ 1
bel14:12:41

Good morning all!

๐Ÿ‘‹ 2
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Vincent Frรฉchette14:12:26

Slack, Teams, whatever increases communication :)

โ˜๏ธ 1
๐Ÿ”ฅ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)14:12:02

The FOMO is still high when trying to attend all the networking events simultaneously ๐Ÿ˜‚

โ˜๏ธ 2
๐Ÿ’ฏ 2
๐ŸŽฏ 2
๐Ÿ˜„ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:12:56

Itโ€™s interesting to me how prominently IRC shows up in the early DevOps / Velocity community โ€” a big contrast to how most Ops orgs communicated in those days, which was things like Remedy, Helpdesk, Peregrine, etc.

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)14:12:57

IRC was lightweight and had super low barriers to entry - love that tool

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)14:12:39

๐Ÿ‘ 25
โค๏ธ 28
upvotepartyparrot 5
โ˜๏ธ 1
๐Ÿ’‹ 1
โž• 3
โœ… 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:05

PS: I was just talking with @jeff.gallimore about what a timesaver Descript is for editing video โ€” if you havenโ€™t seen it, check it out. Allows you to edit videos like a word processor. Amazing. https://www.descript.com/

๐Ÿ˜ฒ 1
๐Ÿ‘ 2
Gunjan Taleja15:12:15

Got the journal at the aws:reInvent

๐ŸŽ‰ 1
Ann Perry - IT Revolution15:12:35

Please welcome @willardamyl and @mring!!

๐ŸŽ‰ 4
๐Ÿ”ฅ 5
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:55

Hello, @willardamyl and @mring!! Thank you for presenting your story here!

โค๏ธ 4
๐Ÿ™ 3
Amy Willard - John Deere15:12:56

@mring and I are looking forward to some great interactions in Slack!

๐Ÿ™Œ 2
โค๏ธ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:02

Love seeing a real-world-manufacturing company embrace DevOps

โค๏ธ 6
Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:13

How is Deere embracing virtual/hybrid/remote ways of working in the post-covid world?

Amy Willard - John Deere15:12:40

We are a hybrid organization post-Covid โ€ฆ valuing both flexibility and in person collaboration. No one size fits all across the teams.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:07

@willardamyl Do I understand correctly that you wanted to lead this group because of your experience going through Foundry? (Meant to ask / clarify that during our recording session!)

Amy Willard - John Deere15:12:09

My experience watching the transformation work of the Foundry made this a role I very much wanted and created a desire to work with the team! Fun fact - I didnโ€™t actually go thru the immersion wave we will discuss until I was in this role - went thru and was coached along side my own product teams. @genek

Leaf (Jessica Roy), MassMutual15:12:40

I missed something, I think - what's Foundry?

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere15:12:23

@jroy42 we'll speak to it in the next few slides.

๐ŸŽ‰ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:02

Thank you, @willardamyl! (Sorry for jumping ahead โ€” Iโ€™ve been dragging that question around for weeks! ๐Ÿ™‚

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:52

โ€œJohn Deere: our first product was actually used by actual horsesโ€ ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

โค๏ธ 2
๐Ÿ˜† 4
๐Ÿด 2
Jason Krause { JSON }15:12:16

> John Deere - Don't Ask Us About Open Source.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:28

(this is one of the most amazing corporate videos Iโ€™ve ever seen โ€” I get goosebumps every time I see it. Such amazing use of beautiful language.)

โ˜๏ธ 4
โค๏ธ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:31

Narrative storytelling is super powerful. A great skill to develop.

โฌ†๏ธ 1
Dave Zorko15:12:12

Deere startup in Antarctica available ๐Ÿ™‚

๐Ÿ˜† 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:54

For those of you who want to see the original John Deere video, with fuller sound and its incredible production quality, here it is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gNbFvZO6IQ. (Iโ€™ve watched it more than a couple of times!)

โค๏ธ 2
๐Ÿ‘ 2
Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere15:12:20

Some more videos that details some of the technological innovations that are happening across the agriculture and construction industry: โ€ขJohn Deere Precision Construction Equipment (Smart construction): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kCazvXcPAw&amp;ab_channel=JohnDeere โ€ขSee & Spray Ultimate Overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytJELX6rKV4&amp;ab_channel=JohnDeere โ€ขJohn Deere Operations Center for Precision Ag Farm Operations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hanv4lk5bQY&amp;ab_channel=JohnDeere โ€ขJohn Deere Cyber Security โ€“ Cyber Tracker Hacking Challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrLh-9D17mc&amp;ab_channel=JohnDeere

๐Ÿ“– 1
๐Ÿ”– 1
โค๏ธ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:28

โ€œknow it allsโ€ -> โ€œlearn it allsโ€ !!!

โค๏ธ 4
Dana Finster - Walmart InfoSec (Speaker)15:12:36

โ€œFrom know-it-alls to learn-it allsโ€ ๐Ÿ’ฏ

โค๏ธ 13
Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:03

@willardamyl @mring As part of transition to Product, how did you integrate funding/finance into the lifecycle... and move away from annual, big-bang planning cycles?

Amy Willard - John Deere15:12:22

Still a journey for us on this one - coaching and a focus on simplification and prioritization mindsets embedded in how we work all the time. One focus area for our transformation that didn't make the talk was an intentional shift to MetaScrums & a dynamic portfolio process. Investment Agility is a key focus on this year - post some of this foundational learning. Happy to share more.

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere15:12:15

We only had to change three things... ๐Ÿ˜

Amy Willard - John Deere15:12:37

Three things ... ok, well maybe everything ๐Ÿ˜†

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:40

@willardamyl @mring: @ben.grinnell and I would so much appreciate your involvement in the Day 3 Birds of Feather session on outsourcing โ€” itโ€™s a session to elicit what goes wrong in outsourcing because of the incentive structures, and how one could get far better outcomes by changing the rules. ๐Ÿ™

Clarissa Lucas, Author and IT Audit Leader15:12:50

From know-it-alls to learn-it-alls <-- LOVE THIS!!!

โค๏ธ 1

https://dallasinnovates.com/american-airlines-appoints-john-deere-cio-as-next-digital-chief/ It was fascinating to watch @ross.clanton410 and team from American Airlines talking with @willardamyl and @mring, because of this news!

โค๏ธ 1
Amy Willard - John Deere15:12:25

Connecting with the folks from American was a huge benefit and highlight of being in person in Vegas... it won't be our last connect for sure!

Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:41

This is very exciting... to see the root systems of DOES joining and flowering... can you deep dive in to this as a story ... ?

(Another example of small world.)

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere15:12:21

Hopefully between this mindsets slide and the upcoming Outcomes slide, you'll see the iterative and incremental journey we have taken over these three years. We didn't figure everything out up front. It truly has been a journey. #alwaysLearning #betterEveryDay

Steve Gertz15:12:57

"Freaky fast"

๐Ÿ‘ 1
George Kraniotis, Discover, Engineering Director15:12:58

Love the integrated coaching with โ€œreal problemsโ€. Learning about a new way of working is all theoretical until you start doing

โค๏ธ 3
Arun Chawla15:12:52

Is the Foundry a new group at John Deere ? I think coaching would be an excellent way for us to introduce some of these concepts to NOAA

Amy Willard - John Deere15:12:57

The Foundry has been operational for about 3 years ... we are ending this wave operating model on the screen right now in Dec and changing how we engage.

Mark Persiko15:12:55

How do you measure value and flow? What's your VSM paradigm?

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere15:12:28

The thin vertical slice of immersion coaching was a way that helped us address some of the "thawing the frozen middle of management" (management old ways of working) issues.

โค๏ธ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:49

@mring asked me about my introduction to this talk: I had mentioned how John Deere approached the Org Change Management very differently than most. He asked, was it better, worse, etc? ๐Ÿ™‚ To answer directly, I would say, โ€œfaster and bigger and more ambitiousโ€ โ€” itโ€™s exciting to see, and to see what your outcomes have been!

โค๏ธ 2
Dave Zorko15:12:21

@mring How did you get C-Suite/Senior Management or folks unfamiliar with Agile/DevOps practices on board?

๐Ÿ‘† 4
Amy Willard - John Deere15:12:57

Lots of discussions of course - but at the end of the day, it was about outcomes. This slide.

โค๏ธ 1
Dave Zorko15:12:42

Thanks @willardamyl sounds like start that Agile/DevOps bubble, show results and help get others on board.

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere15:12:22

Definitely leveraging the change adoption curve. Our early waves focused on those depts and orgs that were the pioneers / early adopters in change adoption. That helped give early success, positive word of mouth and get others excited about wave immersion.

Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:35

@mring have you made the training available online?

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:12

Human Centered Design โ€” a term I wish I had integrated into Phoenix Project, had I only known what it was called. (To the best of my understanding, this was pioneered by Pivotal Labs, and shows up so much in the orgs they touched.)

Gunjan Taleja15:12:13

@mring how do we measure or quantify the outcome post the coaching?

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere15:12:49

We treated coaching and wave immersion as an enabling function and force multiplier. So these 3-year slides told us whether coaching these new ways of working was driving the right organizational performance. Measures of Better Value Sooner Safer and Happier.

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)15:12:39

We have a new feature in Slackโ€ฆ if someone posts a link to a resource youโ€™d like to keep, mark the post with ๐Ÿ”– and it will repost to #C04ED43AQAC. Then you can just go to that channel and see all the resources that everyone is recommending!

๐ŸŽ‰ 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:50

Ah, yes. Use the โ€œ๐Ÿ”–โ€ โ€” bookmark emoji! Thx @jeff.gallimore

Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:40

Avoid "agility theatre" (@mring)

โค๏ธ 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:58

(I got trained in the Alan Cooper school of UX in 2005, but I love the way the HCD school frames things.)

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:40

Have you read The Design of Everyday Things?

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)15:12:15

Just read it 2 months ago. Awesome book.

๐Ÿ‘ 2
Heather Bannon15:12:40

@mring - how do you use eNPS to drive change and what levels of leadership create action plans to address red flags in your eNPS?

Amy Willard - John Deere15:12:08

It's really a tool at many levels - product teams, product family, business capability area and even the whole function depending on the topic and impediment that is raised. Embedded Action Teams drive much of this. So, across many levels.

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Amy Willard - John Deere15:12:30

These outcomes have really be a north star for our transformation journey internally to our IT function and with the senior leadership of our company. Our why needed to be clear, as well as the progress on our journey.

โค๏ธ 4
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:59

I think what John Deere approach shows that itโ€™s better to do the wrong things right, than doing the right things wrong. > Iโ€™m very grateful to my old Whitbread colleague John Goughโ€™s Blog for alerting me to the work of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_L._Ackoff, the American management guru, who has some wonderful language to describe this: > โ€œThe righter we do the wrong thingโ€, he explains, โ€œthe wronger we become. When we make a mistake doing the wrong thing and correct it, we become wronger. When we make a mistake doing the right thing and correct it, we become righter. Therefore, it is better to do the right thing wrong than the wrong thing right. Most of our current problems are the result of policy makers and managers busting a gut to do the wrong thing right. > Getting the right thing wrong is better than putting the wrong thing right.โ€ https://reallearningforachange.com/leadership-skills/why-doing-the-wrong-thing-righter-makes-it-wronger/

โค๏ธ 3
๐Ÿ”– 2
Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere15:12:08

Re: how we measured ROI: Over simplified - it's the amount we spent on the transformations - upskilling, coaching, technology investments, etc being more than recovered by the amount of savings we had thru insourcing, technology divestments, and other cost optimizations.

๐Ÿ‘ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:21

Is there anything you can share about how former CIO Ganesh Jayaram best helped in this effort, @amandalewis @mring? Many thanks!!! ๐Ÿ™

Amy Willard - John Deere15:12:36

Ganesh was key in driving the vision and commitment to transformation within the function and across the broader business ecosystem. He was also excellent at being a servant leader and advocate while we worked thru the journey.

๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
Clarissa Lucas, Author and IT Audit Leader15:12:27

"Get comfortable being uncomfortable" <--Yes! target being comfortably uncomfortable :)

โค๏ธ 4
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Kieran Neeson15:12:21

"Build Trust through Action" - Show Don't Tell, love this!

โค๏ธ 5
Arun Chawla15:12:38

NOAA rarely employs quantitative measures to show the impact of agile development. That adds to the resistance to agile development. What is the most important metric that has helped you push culture change?

โค๏ธ 1
Dipesh Bhatia15:12:02

@mring Could give some more info on Engineering Ratio? what did you measure and pros?

Amy Willard - John Deere15:12:56

The simple formula is that engineering roles vs non-engineering roles. If we have 100 people and 75 are delivering inside of a product team - that's a 75% engineering ratio. We are looking for the right balance of roles across Scrum, Product and Engineering roles - with very few "translator" roles between these roles and their customers.

Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:13

Get comfortable not having all the answers, especially senior leadership... important point in developing away from top-down models of deference in hierarchies

Luke Rettig - Target, Sr Director-Global Inventory Mangement15:12:02

yes Nick! that is such a big transformational leadership thing that is so hard to do!

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere15:12:00

Anecdotally, we have seen the shift in how multiple layers of leadership communicates over the past three years, shifting from command-and-control type language / behaviors to more servant and transformational leadership behaviors. These behavior changes we can clearly see through evidence from eNPS results, employee engagement, psych safety surveys, etc.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:15

Feeling uncomfortable: I have such a strong memory in 2004 of how uncomfortable and stupid I felt when we moved to Scrum at Tripwire โ€” so many strange and alien terms that I didnโ€™t know what they meant! sprint, scrum, spike, points. It was truly bewildering, and it didnโ€™t help that I didnโ€™t feel comfortable then asking questions, afraid of looking stupid.

Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:09

How did you progress forward from that state?

Arun Chawla15:12:52

I still face that in my org

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:16

Ha! I got very good at asking questions, not afraid at all at looking stupid. Nick, remind me aobut this later, and Iโ€™d love to write this up. Maybe we can pair on that?

โ˜๏ธ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:48

@arun.chawla Wanna join me in writing some thing up? Iโ€™d lvoe to share this story!!!

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere15:12:53

Yes! Improving psych safety, modeling your own fallibility and embracing those that ask questions or bring bad news. "Thank you for the question!" "That's a good question. Hmm, what do others think?"

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:30

(Another thing I admire about this presentation from @willardamyl and @mring is their use of language of leading, constantly evoking the core mission of the organization. So awesome!)

Eva Mรตttus15:12:04

@mring how does your OKR setup look like? E.g is it top down, bottom up? How do teams work towards the key results set?

Vlad Ukis15:12:08

interested in this as well incl. feedback loops established.

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere15:12:34

We are still maturing in this space. We are actively trying to avoid top-down / cascading of OKRs. We started at the product team level (bottom-up), identified need for Product Family / line of business OKRs and then working to align those.

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere15:12:31

OKRs definitely not a silver bullet, but has been a way to enable more conversation about what is (and more importantly) what is not yet a focus.

Diego Leรณn15:12:44

Are you doing certain kind of cross stakeholders planning by Objective or KRs just after OKRs definition (for dependencies identification/prioritization, etc)? or are the OKRs more a guidance for the underlying teams/units/products involved to move forward in the product development in isolation?

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere15:12:59

Today, OKRs are more guidance to enable conversations about priorities and shifting discussions from outputs to outcomes. (e.g. "by delivering this new feature/solution, we expect _ {what outcome}___?") Dynamic and cross-portfolio prioritization is definitely a focus for us in 2023.

๐Ÿ‘ 2
Vlad Ukis15:12:16

How dynamic should it get?

John Deere: โ€œWeโ€™re HIRING!โ€ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐ŸŽ‰.

๐Ÿšœ 2
๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
๐Ÿ˜… 1
Joe Moretti15:12:42

I am hoping they have remote work options! ๐Ÿคž:skin-tone-3:

Dave Zorko15:12:44

Thank you @mring and @willardamyl !

๐Ÿ™ 1
Nikhil Das Nomula(Platforms - JD Finishline)15:12:45

@willardamyl @mring Thank you for a great talk! It would be great to learn how DevEx was implemented at John Deere

โค๏ธ 1
Vlad Ukis15:12:58

Is there an internal platform at John Deere used by all devs across the company?

Amy Willard - John Deere15:12:46

We'd love to connect more @nnomula. @vladyslav.ukis - not one platform for all Devs, but striving for a balance of autonomy and common platforms.

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere19:12:29

Further investments in creating/maturing engineering "paved paths" (a.k.a "golden paths") is an area of focus for us in 2023. Helping make "the right way" the easy way for our software engineers.

๐Ÿ‘ 2
gratitude-thank-you 1
Balwant Kamboj15:12:47

Great inspiring story

โค๏ธ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:02

Thank you @willardamyl and @mring!

๐ŸŽ‰ 7
โค๏ธ 3
๐Ÿ‘ 3
Kieran Neeson15:12:11

I enjoyed every second of that story from John Deere! Awesome!!

โค๏ธ 2
Arun Chawla15:12:12

Awesome talk! I loved the Foundry concept

โค๏ธ 2
Vlad Ukis15:12:21

Did not catch it, sorry. What is that concept?

Amy Willard - John Deere15:12:55

Foundry is our version of a Dojo with the waves being one delivery "how"

Vlad Ukis15:12:22

Understood. Thanks!

Balwant Kamboj15:12:38

Thank you @willardamyl and @mring

โค๏ธ 2
๐Ÿ‘ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:39

Please welcome Dr. @arun.chawla โ€” who I met through Dr.@topo.pal . If I remember correctly, they went to college together!!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚

๐Ÿ‘ 3
Mark Persiko15:12:04

Inspiring talk, @mring

โค๏ธ 1
Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere15:12:35

I'm only as good as my speaking partner @willardamyl.

โค๏ธ 1
Mark Persiko16:12:08

I have a friend who is looking for work. She heading to the John Deere site to apply but anyone I can pass on a resume to personally?

Amy Willard - John Deere16:12:04

You can sent it my my way @mark.persiko - but having her officially apply is necessary

Mark Persiko17:12:03

Thank you, @willardamyl - much appreciated! She is applying officially, too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Srikanth Devineni15:12:17

Thank you @willardamyl and @mring for awesome presentation with use case and results.

โค๏ธ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:22

This is such a wild story โ€” youโ€™ll have so much appreciation of what they do, because their work impacts all our daily lives, IN SO MANY WAYS!!!!

Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:37

First talk over, but struggling to keep engaged with the current slack conversations and pay attention to the next video as it plays... hopefully we can experiment with a virtual #AndonCord in the future, so we can stop the line, gather and focus on a topic/problem and then move on together

โ˜๏ธ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:08

DM me about that, too! Letโ€™s try that next time!!!!

Vlad Ukis15:12:58

Curious about that. Would be like a digital "hallway track" :)

Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:04

I envision the video stopping and focus turns to the slack disussion, which could be via text or audio/video until that dies down naturally and the hold is released to continue playing the video

Vlad Ukis15:12:43

interesting idea. would be like automated ocean waves ๐Ÿ™‚

Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:55

The issue here relates directly to cognitive load and the speed of learning... could be an interesting area for research and experimentation... many unknowns

Leaf (Jessica Roy), MassMutual15:12:59

What @genek said earlier about virtual allowing more frequent gatheringsโ€ฆ maybe it can also enable slowing down enough to interact more without missing the talk?

Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:09

Slowing down, more focus, remove parallel tracks... the economics of in-person conferences optimizes for space and cost by having lots of stuff happening at the same time... but in virtual we can de-couple all that and focus... but how to do that, with which people and keep it engaging so people are on the edge of flow/learning is non-obvious...

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:10

Customers: aviation!!! pilots use it to create their flight plan! Search and rescue (which we learned about in Vegas: PRC2!). Firefighting! Apparently, the absence of maritime disasters and losses is a somewhat new thing, made possible because of better use of weather forecasts to make better routes. Did I get that correct, @arun.chawla?

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:11

Forecasting the weather in four easy steps. Step 1, get your 45TB of data on conditions of atmosphere, water, ice, ๐Ÿ˜†

Arun Chawla15:12:34

That is correct Gene

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:20

Step 2: get some computing equipment: recommended configuration shown below: 8K cores recommended. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Dave Zorko15:12:39

Eekkk.... NOAA was literally fighting fires ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Step 2b: in case of fire, you should buy two of them. ๐Ÿ˜‚

๐Ÿ’ก 2
๐Ÿ˜† 2
Shane Brauner15:12:08

Why have exactly the same architecture? If you hit a platform bug/issue, wouldnโ€™t it take down both?

Arun Chawla15:12:06

We switch platforms in less than 3 hours. When we hit a bug that breaks production we try to solve it in one and then bring it into the other

Vadym Starodubov15:12:28

Should be 3 in case of network troubles. or 2 plus file share as less expensive configuration

Arun Chawla15:12:07

That story has become a favorite -- the head of the computing center was having lunch at the common room when he got a call on his phone and his response was -- "you see smoke from wheeeere ?"

โค๏ธ 1
๐Ÿ˜ฎ 2
๐Ÿ˜‚ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:44

Need a predictive model to forecast supercomputer fires

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:16

I just love how weather forecasting is one of the problems that shaped the entire history of computation, created chaos theory. The compelling event: the blown Hurricane Sandy prediction that predicted that it would head to the ocean โ€” for hours, the European forecast disagreed, suggesting it was going to make landfall.

โค๏ธ 3
Topo Pal15:12:10

Production Suite 'Quilt' ๐Ÿ™‚

Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:12

And the most important test of the various predictive models is the real world and what actually happens... usually in a few days... fast feedback loops...

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:43

All these computation models developed independently, across different agencies, universities. On different computation platforms.

Topo Pal15:12:49

"We need to reinvent everything" LOL

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:17

Some only ran on NOAA platforms. Had to get accounts on our system. (FISMA infrastructure, so had get to clearance!!! NEVER KNEW THAT!)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:41

โ€œscrambling how to migrate from Python2 to Python3.โ€ ๐Ÿ˜‚

Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:56

echoes of old batch processing on mainframes

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:58

I was citing something I heard in a talk from GitHub team: โ€œfiguring out how to have two versions of Python installed on your laptop shouldnโ€™t be a core competencyโ€

Topo Pal15:12:58

"Hack jobs became standards"

๐Ÿฅฒ 1
Heather Bannon15:12:01

The point about tech debt here definitely resonates

Heather Bannon15:12:52

One of the most frustrating thing about owning legacy platforms is the SME knowledge debt that exacerbates tech debt - it's really hard to upgrade that which is not fully understood.

๐Ÿ™ 3
Topo Pal15:12:06

This talk is so apt... resonates so much across all industries!!!

๐Ÿ”ฅ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:25

โ€œweโ€™ve learned over 20 years: atmosphere is being affected by whatโ€™s happening in ocean, making storms bigger and stronger.โ€ <--- showing that these models needed to interact with each other. ๐Ÿคฏ

Arun Chawla15:12:54

I so wish I could set up a foundry in NOAA to teach the scientists to work in an AGILE environment

โค๏ธ 4

โ€œscientists arenโ€™t good at documentationโ€. <--- hahaha. not just scientists. ๐Ÿ˜‚

โค๏ธ 2
Topo Pal15:12:34

dev too!!!!

๐Ÿ˜† 1
Leaf (Jessica Roy), MassMutual15:12:22

Pet peeve of mine: "oh, sure they aren't good at (doocumentation, mentoring, communicating, basic social skills), but they're such a good technologist!" ๐Ÿ˜ 

โž• 1
๐Ÿ˜‚ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:55

Hilarious how these themes are so familiar to us, @arun.chawla!

Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:50

Turns out the underlying issue is People :thinking_face:

๐Ÿ‘† 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:57

(..just like Soylent Green... It's people!)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:49

โ€œworked with NASAโ€ (who own the ice models, IIRC)

Arun Chawla15:12:54

The CICE model comes from Department of Energy. Incidentally, there were people there interested in building an open community environment, we convinced NOAA to fund a code manager to help them make the transition

Topo Pal15:12:56

"People stealing ideas"!!!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:23

โ€œhad to convince scientists that no one was trying to steal your ideasโ€ โ€œscientists often worked for 15-20 by themselves, not in groupsโ€

โค๏ธ 3
Heather Bannon15:12:41

@arun.chawla - curious how hard it was to get the first turn of the wheel to change the culture from silos to sharing? My observation is that the culture is key to adoption

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Arun Chawla15:12:10

I am still fighting it. But backing from leadership was most important. The silo culture is very hard to break

โค๏ธ 3
Arun Chawla15:12:21

What I learned very early was that no one likes a lecture. I think the John Deere example of showing not telling is critical

โค๏ธ 1
Topo Pal15:12:44

"No correct answer" - that is so important here. How do you solve a problem when there is no correct answer

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:44

The scope of their coalition is astonishing: NOAA, Dept of Energy, NASA, US Navy, International weather agenciesโ€ฆ

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:19

Step 1: create a unified dev community โ€” letโ€™s not worry about operations for now (weโ€™ll get there eventually)

โค๏ธ 1
Topo Pal15:12:34

"Communication is key" - Amen

๐Ÿ™ 2
Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:17

I wonder how "experts" feel about saying "I don't know" and publicly learning...

Kieran Neeson15:12:54

Uncomfortable!

Leaf (Jessica Roy), MassMutual15:12:49

Pivotal moment of my career was seeing someone I admired do exactly that. I now see it as the responsibility of senior folks to model asking questions and learning.

โค๏ธ 4
Patricia Turner15:12:49

We've been trying to get at this in our interviewing - if you can't say "I don't know" you're not a good fit for us culturally. We want to move quickly and so focus more on learning and being aware of your resources vs. pretending you have everything in your head.

๐Ÿ‘ 4
Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:04

when you build your brand on being seen as always right, always certain and being the embodiment of Science or Knowledge would make it rather difficult to say "I don't know" or "let's find out"

Kieran Neeson15:12:23

We encouraged this by repeatedly stating that ALL learning starts with those 3 words - I Don't Know This helped make Not Knowing feel safe

โค๏ธ 1
Marc Poulin15:12:39

Psychological Safety is key here I think

๐Ÿ‘ 2
Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:45

I have heard anecdotally that this gets harder as one acquires more credentials.. or at least in a culture that places a high value on credentials. I wonder if this generalizes...

Marc Poulin15:12:10

Amy Edmundson (sp?) has a lot of good work on that topic.

Nick Eggleston (free radical)15:12:49

Any good links you can share?

Marc Poulin15:12:04

Looking it up. I really need to just favourite her talks hahaha

Marc Poulin15:12:53

This short Ted Talk is a decent tl;dr - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhoLuui9gX8 But I really recommend this longer talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Ub1xfSQ1s

๐Ÿ”– 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:45

Core team reporting to @arun.chawla โ€” worked with code managers from each of the model components. Reminds me so much of the talk from Mike Bland, about the birth of automated testing at Google in 2005. https://videos.itrevolution.com/watch/524439661/

๐Ÿ”– 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:23

โ€œWe helped people โ€” people love you when you are showing up to help them solve their problems.โ€ Another common theme, which showed up in Team of Teams, etc. In the talks from @david627, this showed up prominently: https://videos.itrevolution.com/watch/432219018/

๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
โค๏ธ 1
Carl Chesser15:12:25

Routinely meeting and showing a genuine interest in helping each other is a great way to fuel community growth / collaboration. Loved to hear that.

โค๏ธ 4
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:51

@arun.chawla You can run the huge weather model in a Docker container?! (I meant to ask this during our recording session.). How much memory is required for those workloads that run in Docker? (That was so startling to hear!)

Arun Chawla15:12:21

We can run regression tests on it, but not the operational configuration

Fascinating how packaging and builds shows up in this talk โ€” and how critical it is to do anything in a repeatable way. (and something that a bunch of developers or scientists are unlikely able to do themselves.)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:00

Gource source code visualization!

Topo Pal15:12:14

WOW!!!! That is a cool animation

๐Ÿ’ฏ 2
Arun Chawla15:12:36

Twenty years of working in scientific modeling, and the biggest requests I get is for Gource simulations ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

๐Ÿ˜‚ 2
Carl Chesser15:12:46

It is amazing what newer insight you get when you visualize activity like this vs. looking through a git log. The explosion of change ๐Ÿ™‚

Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:32

Visual processing has a lot of brain-space devoted to it, so mapping into that domain should be helpful in developing insights

Ryan Taylor, Application Architect, Axim Geospatial16:12:43

Anything like Gource but for Jira tickets? I'd like to demonstrate the complexity we're causing by turning all ideas into tickets in the hopes of changing how Jira is being used.

Carl Chesser16:12:27

I'm not aware of anything like that, but I have used logstalgia for different ways to show flow between systems. If you could get an activity log transformed into a similar format, you may be able to indicate flow from different sources / destinations. https://logstalgia.io/

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:12:27

This was one of the key breakthroughs: doubling the number of atmospheric levels, which would enable more accurate forecasts, which addresses the Hurricane Sandy forecast inaccuracy. The problem: data output too big and took too long to write. Ops said โ€œno wayโ€. ๐Ÿ˜†

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:12

Solution: work with NetCDF OSS community, who helped solved the problem!

Topo Pal16:12:10

This is such a good talk!!! OMG.. I need to watch it a few times now.

๐Ÿ™ 1
โ˜๏ธ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:43

Agreed. I already have! Shows universality of these problems and direction of solution.

โค๏ธ 1

Three labs working together to create the moving nests capability.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:01

canโ€™t just fund scientists. must also fund development (and dev enablement!)

โค๏ธ 2
Topo Pal16:12:42

This is coming from a scientist!!!

Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:13

since "incentives eat everything all the time", funding decisions will have a huge impact on outcomes

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:54

So much like โ€œjust hire devs to write features!โ€ ๐Ÿ˜‚ cc @arun.chawla

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:30

โ€œoperations has always beenโ€ฆ.โ€

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:52

โ€œscientists have always beenโ€ฆ umโ€ฆ. secretive.โ€

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Shane Brauner16:12:55

For others interested in Spack: https://spack.io/

โค๏ธ 1
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Arun Chawla16:12:51

Thank you, we love spack

Jennifer Riggins16:12:14

Heyy Gene and everyone! Iโ€™m happy to be back to learn and to propagate that learning for http://thenewstack.io/author/jennifer-riggins/

๐Ÿ”ฅ 3
๐Ÿ™ 2
Jennifer Riggins16:12:52

cheers to you Alex for always helping me when I remember to attend VERY last minute

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:59

โ€œitโ€™s too complicatedโ€ ๐Ÿ˜‚

Topo Pal16:12:08

THANK YOU so much @arun.chawla

๐Ÿ‘ 3
Arun Chawla16:12:19

Thank you for this opportunity!

โค๏ธ 2
๐Ÿ‘ 4
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:30

Thank you so much, @arun.chawla!!!!

David Szatkowski16:12:40

Thanks for the presentation

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:46

That was amazing and so eye-opening, @arun.chawla!!!

๐Ÿ‘ 2
Balwant Kamboj16:12:59

Thank you @arun.chawla great presentation

Shane Brauner16:12:24

Great presentation, @arun.chawla. I supported some weather modeling 20 years ago and itโ€™s great to see so much progress!

๐Ÿ‘ 3
๐Ÿ™ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:36

Please welcome @robert.wood, CISO of Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services!

๐Ÿ‘ 3
Arun Chawla16:12:55

If I had a dollar for every time that I have heard "DEVOPS and Agile will not work here ...." I am seeing so much commonality with all of your work!

๐Ÿ’ฏ 2
๐Ÿ‘† 2
โค๏ธ 2
๐Ÿ’ฐ 2
Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere16:12:07

I have found @jonathansmart1 et. al's focus on outcomes (Better Value Sooner Safer Happier) to be extremely valuable in focusing conversations on outcomes (not practices) and using common language. "What problem are we trying to solve? Delivering sooner (flow)? Safer (Security)? Happier (culture)? Ok, so, what are some capabilities that can enable us to achieve those outcomes?"

Arun Chawla16:12:22

So true Matt. At NOAA I find many people shut down when talk moves to Scrums and Scrum leader etc. I think we really need an immersion coaching environment like what you have that uses the philosophy of agile development, but helps local teams to solve real problems

Mark Persiko17:12:05

This is great! I think we need new thinking around "agile" workflow, tied to outcomes.

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere19:12:08

๐Ÿ’ฏ @mark.persiko. Early in our transformation, people were getting hung up on behaviors and metrics and hitting targets for the sake of hitting targets. We continued to struggle with getting people (even our own coaches sometimes) past this until we started leveraging BVSSH language.

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere19:12:43

So, rather than getting stuck debating any given practice (.e.g. daily stand-ups, pairing, etc.) we can re-frame it in terms of outcomes. Team: "Do we have to do pair-programming?" Me: "Well, what problem are you trying to solve?" Team: "We are constantly getting disrupted with production defects introduced which takes us away from our backlog of new work." Me: "So you're struggling with delivering better (quality) and sooner (flow)?" Them: "Yes." Me: "Ok, so pairing is one way to lower defects getting introduced into production. What are some other things you want to try to improve the software quality and delivering better and sooner?"

Mark Persiko19:12:39

Ha..clever. Requires clear, cold understanding of goals, and smooth, socratic delivery of them to others!

Mark Persiko19:12:03

(Remind me again what BVSSH stands for?)

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere20:12:17

"Requires clear, cold understanding of goals, and smooth, socratic delivery of them to others!" As a coach / change agent / leader, I also need to let go of whether somebody is doing a particular practice. I need to not care whether they are pairing or not, so long as they are achieving the desired outcomes. That in itself requires self-discipline. Leading with intent and not control.

Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:07

One Payer to rule them all...

๐Ÿ˜‚ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:13

BatCAVE: โ€œContinuous Assurance and Verification Environment!โ€ ๐Ÿ˜‚

Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:35

Every program needs a good acronym

๐Ÿ’ฏ 2
๐Ÿ‘ 1
๐Ÿ˜€ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:22

CMS: 230 FISMA level systems (just as weather modeling systems were). 6500+ developers across numerous integrators!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:18

Problem was the onerous work required to gain Authority to Operate, and all the necessary certifications to run CMS systems!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:38

โ€œmonths to get through ATO processesโ€ (if youโ€™re lucky!)

๐Ÿคฏ 2
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)16:12:11

iโ€™ve heard stories from other agencies about this taking up to two years. ๐Ÿ˜ญ

๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
Leaf (Jessica Roy), MassMutual16:12:13

ATO_person: "You'll need to submit this new form for every deployment." me: "You don't want me to do that. We deploy several times per day."

โค๏ธ 1
โ˜๏ธ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:14

โ€œyouโ€™re not innovating when youโ€™re fiddling with network settings, partitioning, VPCs. Innovation at the application and value you create for users. Infrastructure is abstracted away, and should be invisible to users.โ€

๐ŸŽฏ 1
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:23

โ€œreducing cost for end-to-end development; itโ€™s not just opportunity cost, but cloud spend โ€” ever turn something on, but forget to turn it off?โ€ ๐Ÿ˜‚

๐Ÿ˜ณ 2
๐Ÿ˜‡ 1
Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)16:12:42

Proud of the work Defense Unicorns is contributing to this effort.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:20

Funny / not-funny depiction of the horrendous timelines required to get capabilities into production, overlaid onto the COVID timeline.

๐Ÿคฏ 3
Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:25

Tell us more about these Defense Unicorns, @bryan.finster486

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)16:12:31

A scrappy startup trying to change the world, one ATO at a time.

Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:14

I'm visualizing Scrappy Doo with a unicorn outfit

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)16:12:59

Close. We do have someone who will wear one. ๐Ÿ™‚

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:16

This is an astonishing philosophy of a security platform โ€” instead of requirements and compliance, @robert.wood and team thinking about it as a market share and TAM (total available market) problem: % of developers are using our platforms, because they want to!

๐Ÿ’ก 1
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Arun Chawla16:12:47

Using the Fly wheel in federal workspace is such a good idea @robert.wood! We need to look at that as well

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:46

Utility Belt: the toolchain that all CMS developers are able to take advantage of, not just security related. โ€œwe empower development teams, and not get distracted by security and operational stuff โ€” logging, operations collectors, security collectorsโ€

โค๏ธ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:26

@genek does such a great job of highlighting and adding color to points in these talks. How much does being able to review the material in advance and having time to reflect and prep help?

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:38

For sure โ€” I take notes during the recording session, and queue up more questions that I never got around to asking. Itโ€™s one of the things I lvoe about the virtual format.

โค๏ธ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:36

It's good to be the Gene (stolen from History of the World Part I)

๐Ÿ˜† 3
Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:47

You're already a loop or two ahead on the spiral journey of knowledge

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:48

โ€œBackup andโ€ฆ tested recovery?โ€ ๐Ÿ˜‚ I had a sinking nervous feeling when I heard @robert.wood talk about this. Backup is easy. Recovery is harder, and Iโ€™m not sure when the last time I tested recovery isโ€ฆ What an incredible benefit it is to have someone else help do this for you!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:23

All the benefits that developers get by using batCAVE: helping advance developer objectives, as well as security objectives. Such a clever way to get developers onboard.

Jonathan Mailhot16:12:54

Listening to this talk, now I definitely want to base everything I do on Batman ๐Ÿ˜…

๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
Dipesh Bhatia16:12:36

That is a tons of scan, deployment time will suffer, correct or not correct ? Can we couple the scans?

Diego Leรณn16:12:12

Fully agree, challenging the amount of time spend into the steps, I assume they are using lightweight images.

Jonathan Mailhot16:12:56

I suggest using the "also send to" option to have a better chance of getting an answer on this.

Diego Leรณn16:12:47

and moreover, with lot of controls, engineers are sometimes struggle to solve for instance major flaws found on external libraries, question hereโ€ฆ Where to paint the line? Working for the government it is a must, but it impacts a lot the time to market in the case of e-commerce sites I love quality gates but @genek it will not call developers ๐Ÿ™‚

Robert Wood16:12:55

@arun.chawla re: flywheel in my mind itโ€™s really about the mindset of the team and stakeholder engagement

Adrienne Shulman16:12:56

If youโ€™re using a library with a known vulnerability but you arenโ€™t using the actual piece of code that is vulnerable, is it a risk? :thinking_face: ๐Ÿ’ญ

๐Ÿ‘ 2
Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:04

If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it...

Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:08

It's a good point about vulnerability analysis... how do you demonstrate that the vulnerability noted in the library or package is operationally vulnerable (not just theoretically)?

Robert Wood16:12:40

What we used to do at SourceClear was tag the line of code, method, function, whatever that was actually responsible for the vulnerability in a CVE and then add that as metadata to our database. Then when our agent built out the AST and did the comparisons we were able to tell whether or not the vulnerable code (based on our analysis anyways) was being called or not

๐Ÿ™Œ 1
Perry B16:12:44

This is an area where SBoMs can help. Two essential companion artifacts for SBoMs are the Common Security Advisory Framework (CSAF) standard and the Vulnerability Exploitability eXchange standard (VEX). These standards specify companion artifacts for automated vulnerability identification. CSAF specifies machine-readable security advisories delivered by software producers. This enables automated evaluation of software component vulnerabilities by software consumers to efficiently identify affected systems. VEX is a profile within CSAF that specifies a machine-readable format enabling suppliers and vendors to assert the vulnerability status (i.e., affected or not affected) of software products. https://docs.oasis-open.org/csaf/csaf/v2.0/csaf-v2.0.html https://www.ntia.gov/files/ntia/publications/vex_one-page_summary.pdf https://www.csa.gov.sg/-/media/Csa/Documents/Events/OTCEP-2021/aDolus-White-Paper--Introduction-to-VEX--V0100.pdf

Robert Wood16:12:09

Less risk IMHO

๐Ÿ’ฏ 1

The batCAVE acronym is hilarious: hereโ€™s @robert.wood LinkedIn profile โ€” see his URL. ๐Ÿ˜‚ https://www.linkedin.com/in/holycyberbatman/

Robert Wood16:12:35

I used to work at SourceClear and that vulnerable method identification was a key feature of ours

Robert Wood16:12:52

Of course everything about the company was a mess so it never really took offโ€ฆbut it was a good idea while it lasted ๐Ÿ™‚

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:01

@robert.wood I have to imagine that developers you work with must occasionally say, โ€œYouโ€™re a security person?!?โ€ Yes?

Robert Wood16:12:04

batman

๐Ÿ˜† 3
โค๏ธ 2
Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)16:12:05

100%. Certify the process, not the output.

โค๏ธ 2
๐Ÿ’ฏ 4
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)16:12:13

this is the ONLY way to get real speed

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)16:12:12

some federal agencies call this โ€œteam-managed deploymentsโ€ โ€” certifying the practices the teams are using so they can deploy frequentlyโ€ฆ and responsibly

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:50

But theater is so much easier... and makes people feel like they are doing something..

I've heard theater defended as useful ceremony to keep "security" top of mind

Karthik Gaekwad (Speaker)16:12:27

Hey y'all!! Good morning ๐Ÿ™‚

๐Ÿ‘‹ 3
Robert Wood16:12:49

I do get that from time to time. Developers like being stuck up for from pentesters and compliance folks.

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)16:12:42

I once had a pentester tell me his job was โ€œto investigate the crime of new development.โ€ :face_palm:

Robert Wood16:12:11

thatโ€™s amazing

Robert Wood16:12:11

Having done all that sort of security work myself I can speak the language and cut through the BSโ€ฆwhich is helpful in building the bridges

๐Ÿ‘ 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:28

We want developers to be able to inherit controls from the platforms they run on โ€” saving tremendous amounts of time, consistent results in GRC. 80% of controls they can inherit form batCAVE.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:04

Next step: multi-tenancy, to reduce costs to run the shared platform!

Arun Chawla16:12:35

@robert.wood I should really have our security folks talk to you. Getting libraries approved for operational environments is like rolling a boulder uphill (on many days)

Robert Wood16:12:54

I would be happy to

Robert Wood16:12:07

Hit me up on LinkedIn and just remind me

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Robert Wood16:12:44

https://linkedin.com/in/holycyberbatman if you need itโ€ฆrobert wood is a surprisingly common name

Robert Wood16:12:48

and iโ€™m far from a rockstar ๐Ÿ˜›

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:58

Next up: helping groups achieve big policy changes (ZeroTrust, SBOM) coming out of a recent White House directive.

๐ŸŽ‰ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:15

something wonderful is happening :star-struck: @robert.wood @arun.chawla

โค๏ธ 4
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:33

PS: @robert.wood: Dr. @arun.chawla gave the presentation before you, on the amazing work heโ€™s been doing at NOAA! https://doesus2022.sched.com/event/1EMk7/modernization-of-noaas-operational-weather-modeling-suite?iframe=no&amp;w=100%&amp;sidebar=yes&amp;bg=no Iโ€™ll send you his presentation video, which will be posted in an hour or two!

Robert Wood16:12:12

Oh excellent, thanks for that

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:42

Purple teams!

๐Ÿ™Œ 1
โค๏ธ 1

... they bleed red (white) and blue

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:31

โ€œbenefits are shared by all consumers โ€” and so are risksโ€ โ€” one of the benefits of centralizing and shared platforms.

Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:55

taking an "abuse case" and... (related to security testing)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:16

Testimonial of a developer loving the help theyโ€™re getting from security!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:58

Congrats @robert.wood โ€” often reaction from devs are different when security kicks down the door and says, โ€œweโ€™re here to help!โ€ ๐Ÿ˜†

Jonathan Mailhot16:12:17

This is a representation of @genek right? :thinking_face:

Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:35

"Help we are looking for" is such a great part of DOES!

๐Ÿ’ฏ 3
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)16:12:09

itโ€™s one of the things that makes this community so specialโ€ฆ because people respond with help!

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)16:12:54

We should collect those somewhere and share them after the conference... to get them under everyone's eyes and provide a loop back.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:00

Great idea โ€” maybe tag it with ๐Ÿ”– for now?

Matt Ring (he/him) - Sr. Product/Engineering Coach, John Deere16:12:16

"Help we're looking for" This is something we're also starting to seed internally at John Deere as well with CoP talks, etc. Really has a positive impact on fostering a culture of learning and psych safety.

Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)16:12:46

@nickeggleston @genek @mring i created a #C04E25MA5E0 channel. any post tagged with ๐Ÿ†˜ will go there.

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)16:12:41

Centralized platform with excellent DevEx is so important.

๐Ÿ‘ 1
๐ŸŽฏ 2
Carl Chesser16:12:10

+1 - having a powerful devex makes it easier to bring more teams onboard as you work through gaps (what may be holding them back with their existing system).

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)16:12:34

Yes. If we hate to use it, weโ€™ll find another way.

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:36

โ€œmission over mineโ€. ๐Ÿ”ฅ

๐Ÿ‘ 3
โค๏ธ 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:54

โ€œvs. my code, my program.โ€

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:43

Thank you so much, @robert.wood for the amazing work that you and team are doing at CMS, especially for some of the vulnerable Americans!!!

๐Ÿ‘ 5
Curtis Hamm16:12:45

Heisman! Stay back :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

Arun Chawla16:12:08

Great talk @robert.wood!

๐Ÿ’ฏ 4
๐Ÿ‘ 2
Robert Wood16:12:41

Thanks everyone!

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)16:12:06

Hearing so many of the critical links being referenced.

๐Ÿ”– 1
โค๏ธ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair16:12:24

Wooo! Morning sessions over โ€” thank you @willardamyl @mring, @arun.chawla, @robert.wood for those fantastic sessions!!!! ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰

๐Ÿ‘ 7
Use other profile16:12:56

All the morning talks are live in the Video Library! https://videos.itrevolution.com/

thankyou 4
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Slackbot16:12:07

Reminder: The breakout sessions are starting in 5 minutes. Get in front of your browser and start navigating your way to whichever session youโ€™re attending. https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/files/UATE4LJ94/F04DG604H1C/image.png

Topo Pal17:12:04

@alex the above discussion channels are archived.

โœ… 1
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)17:12:13

@topo.pal thanks for letting us know. fixed for today and for future reminders ๐Ÿ™‚ (cc @alex)

Slackbot17:12:26

Reminder: The action has moved to the breakouts! Join the following channels to interact with speakers live while their talks air: #discussion-track-1 #discussion-track-2 #discussion-track-3 #discussion-track-4

๐ŸŽ‰ 1
Mark Persiko18:12:49

Why do the track channel buttons go grey now and then?

Nick Eggleston (free radical)18:12:35

I noticed the same thing. When I joined the breakouts, Plenary/Track 1 was grey and I could not click it. @alex any insight?

Nick Eggleston (free radical)18:12:52

(likely there was no content being streamed on that channel at that time, but hoping Alex can confirm)

Use other profile18:12:08

Yes exactly - we built in logic to disable buttons with no content streaming

Mark Persiko19:12:28

The only issues I see with that:

Mark Persiko19:12:38

1. Plenary/Track 1 button is combined, so is the button greyed if only one of those two channels has no content? 2. If previous content is over, we can't copy/paste something from Slack that was good (even though we can go to the Slack channel, true!)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:28

The main goal is to make sure that you donโ€™t miss programming โ€” Even during the launch test yesterday, I was in Track 1, and when programming ended on it, I didnโ€™t realize I should have switched to a different track. So whenever thereโ€™s no programming on a track, we move you to one where there is, just so you know.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:03

(Secondary goal: keep as much logic out of the web client as possible. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hard-earned lesson. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mark Persiko21:12:22

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying intent. Good discussion: fast feedback, quick clarification!

Mark Persiko21:12:49

I will say this whole summit is highly interactive!

๐ŸŽฏ 1
Slackbot18:12:15

Reminder: The breakout sessions are starting again in 5 minutes. Get in front of your browser and start navigating your way to whichever session youโ€™re attending. https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/files/UATE4LJ94/F04DG604H1C/image.png

Slackbot21:12:17

Reminder: The plenary sessions are starting again in 5 minutes. Start making your way back to your browser. https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/files/UATE4LJ94/F04DG604H1C/image.png

Ann Perry - IT Revolution21:12:12

Let's get ready to welcome @rradclif Radcliffe!!

๐Ÿ‘ 1
โค๏ธ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:39

Hello, @rradclif Radcliffe! ๐ŸŽ‰

Rosalind21:12:57

Hello, looking forward to the session, happy to answer your questions

Dave Zorko21:12:17

Hello @rradclif looking forward to the talk!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:02

Ah, this talk! Remember that, @rradclif? On how the mainframe team built a memcache like service that could operate at Walmart scale! ๐ŸŽ‰ https://videos.itrevolution.com/watch/578031349/

Rosalind21:12:34

yes, and we ended with the announcement about open sourcing the capabilities

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:00

And the blocker: getting code pages working in git, if I remember correctly. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rosalind21:12:54

Yes, we had to work with Rocket to update Git to handle code pages

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:35

I was so delighted that @rradclif to teach us about why companies have individual career ladders, and what they look like, and how one advances on it.

โค๏ธ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:14

โ€œthe largest GitHub Enterprise on the planet, with over a million repos.โ€ (Her facial expression speaks volumes on what she thinks about that. ๐Ÿ˜‚ )

๐Ÿ˜„ 1
Rosalind21:12:51

It's never good to be the largest - upgrades are well not fun.

๐Ÿ˜† 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:06

Most engineering companies have engineering IC ladders โ€”

Sara Mazer-Federal CTO LaunchDarkly21:12:13

how many fellows are women?

๐Ÿ‘† 2
Rosalind21:12:52

I don't have the number off the top of my head it's over 20% - IBM has a history of recognizing the value of diversity - women in leadership as well as minorities

๐ŸŽ‰ 2
โค๏ธ 1
Virginia Laurenzano NSA20:12:43

Literally just counted NSA senior technical women. Over 20% here, too!

Virginia Laurenzano NSA20:12:16

I'm going to have to go back and watch your talk, @rradclif. I've always enjoyed you in the past and just reading the comments makes me sad I had to miss this DOES

Adrienne Shulman21:12:14

Love the winding road visual!

Rosalind21:12:21

no career is a real ladder - you always take various steps

๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:23

UI design on Z-series ... green screen, right?

Rosalind21:12:12

Yes 3270 and 5250 lots of fun

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:56

One had to be very efficient with the limited screen real-estate...

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:46

And a lot of people became very proficient at it... such that moving to windows was a step back in performance from a human factors side.

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:00

Are you out of Poughkeepsie?

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:48

I was trying to find the cover of InfoWorld or BYTE magazine of the CUI effort, that I remember reading as a kid.

Rosalind21:12:48

I am not that old - but yes, it was on the cover of lots of magazines at the time

๐Ÿ˜† 2
Jonathan Mailhot21:12:43

Aaaaah Y2K... fun times ๐Ÿ˜…

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:48

I love love loved that Nike commercial that they ran on 1/1/00 โ€” the ones where missiles were launching, ATMs were breaking, etc!!!

๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:29

There's a lot that can be mined from the Y2K fiasco about groupthink and credulity, as well as ways people created and exploited FUD for their advance... lessons lessons lessons...

Adrienne Shulman21:12:49

I remember Y2K lol

Dave Zorko21:12:50

@rradclif you standardized or created, ctrl-c,x,v? That's kinda huge, everyone uses that everywhere

Rosalind21:12:17

Standardized on it, Apple already had it

๐Ÿ‘ 4
๐Ÿ‘ 2
Rosalind21:12:38

but every other system used 3 charter combinations

Dave Zorko21:12:55

right on, cool seeing all the stops on your roadmap!

Rosalind21:12:45

it's never a straight path

โค๏ธ 5
Mark Persiko21:12:58

Helpful and affirming to know.

Marc Poulin21:12:51

I remember working cash in a convenience store at the turn of Y2K and wondering if anything would happen lol

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:43

โ€œYou have to get back into true dev, in order to get what you want (in a dev organization)โ€

๐Ÿ‘† 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:41

Whatโ€™s in common between the @rradclif and the @michael_winslow presentation a couple of weeks ago โ€” there is a strategy to advancement. i.e., Rosalind wasnโ€™t always the โ€œmainframe devopsโ€ person โ€” this is the story of what she was doing before that! โ€œLooking for the home run that would move the needle on IBM objectives.โ€

Topo Pal21:12:46

This is such a privilege to hear from @rradclif herself.

๐Ÿ’ฏ 6
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:16

โ€ฆand earning her the title of Distinguished Engineerโ€ฆ

Luke Rettig - Target, Sr Director-Global Inventory Mangement21:12:17

this was an awesome talk @rradclif... your career is pretty inspiring! Huge impact!

Marc Poulin21:12:48

One thing this mapping reminds me of is a point from Radical Candor when Kim Scott was saying that people move from growth and maintenance phases in their careers depending on what's going on in their lives. And how important it is for managers to recognize and reward that.

โž• 3
Rosalind21:12:02

It's important to show people, it's not a straight path and to be a role model. You can't do what you can't see. I want to to show the value of diversity

๐ŸŽฏ 2
โค๏ธ 8
Michael Winslow22:12:52

Yessss!!! You are in my head with that one Rosalind! On one side you have to show the value. On the other side you have to show the possibility!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:46

Yes, I was definitely one of those people with shocked faces. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Arun Chawla21:12:49

NWS solved its Y2K problem (not really) by setting fire to their only Supercomputer in oct 1999 (not recommended)

๐Ÿ˜† 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:51

Remember when they predicted the end of the mainframe?

Rosalind21:12:20

They have been predicting that since I started

๐Ÿ™‚ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:08

And early on they estimated the size of the global market for computers at ... was it... 10?

Adrienne Shulman21:12:11

I love hearing @rradclif speak about ambition.

๐Ÿ‘† 3
Rosalind21:12:59

You have to make it clear what you want - if you don't you won't get it

โค๏ธ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:04

A startling thing: the thing that most moves the needle for IBM is โ€œdevopsifyingโ€ their internal systems. Amazing. And so cool. As @rradclif just said, โ€œyou never want to be the biggest of anythingโ€, especially for things that customers donโ€™t care about (code repos, payroll, etc.)

๐Ÿ”ฅ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:36

Itโ€™s always great to hang around other ambitious people, @ashulman!

Adrienne Shulman21:12:28

So true! Everyone gets inspired and elevated in the scenius ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:51

โ€œItโ€™s not who you know โ€” itโ€™s who knows you.โ€ ๐Ÿ”ฅ ๐Ÿ”ฅ ๐Ÿ”ฅ ๐Ÿ”ฅ

๐Ÿ”ฅ 4
๐Ÿคฏ 1
Rosalind21:12:00

Sponsors are critical in any company to help you move forward and be recognized for what you have done.

๐Ÿ”ฅ 3
โž• 2
๐Ÿ‘† 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:51

So how do you find and develop and cultivate your sponsors?

Rosalind21:12:53

Connect with people, network, keep your contacts. My office mate when I started is now a GM.

Look around to see who you need to move up, ask questions

Jonathan Mailhot21:12:19

"Happiness"... incredibly underated too often.

Rosalind21:12:47

you do your best when you are mostly happy ... not everything is fun, but you have to be mostly happy

โค๏ธ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:56

(Sorry, canโ€™t figure out how to turn off grid lines ๐Ÿ™‚

Arun Chawla21:12:44

the worst thing we sometimes do is make the best technologists into managers. Kudos to IBM for having parallel development tracks

๐Ÿ‘ 7
โž• 2
Craig Statham21:12:05

After over 20 years as a manager, I recently moved to an I.C. and it's a blast! :-)

๐ŸŽ‰ 2
Sara Mazer-Federal CTO LaunchDarkly21:12:38

super inspiring and super important to remind women that the track to "success" can often be a windy, curvy, non-direct route and that is OK.

Rosalind21:12:29

Not just women, most people have this kind of path

๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
Arun Chawla21:12:06

I think the windy path is actually the best path. Nothing beats that learning

๐Ÿ’ฏ 3
Mark Persiko21:12:44

"Not all who wander are lost." - JRR Tolkein

โค๏ธ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:44

Congratulations, @craig.statham!!! (It was fun talking Clojure with you in Gather! ๐Ÿ˜‚). Want to give a talk on that next year? ๐Ÿ™‚

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:12

The talks on Clojure and Functional Programming really took me back to classes in had in Scheme back at IU with Dan Friedman and Kent Dybvig.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:46

Thatโ€™s amazing! What a privilege that must have been!!!!

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:34

Growing and developing people and creating environments where they flourish is super hard... perhaps the hardest tech of all...

Rosalind21:12:40

IBM has the advantage of being very large, so there is a lot of variety. From pure research, hardware, software, etc

Rosalind21:12:25

And we focus on learning, continuous learning for everyone. The name changes but we have things like Think 40 - making sure you spend time on education and learning

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:13

โ€œCreating intellectual capital and external eminence: patents, but these days, more commonly, open source, inner sourcing.โ€

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:11

vs. performance reviews, budgeting, enforcing expense reports, etc. ๐Ÿ˜†

Arun Chawla21:12:57

I love -- People do their best when they are happiest

โค๏ธ 4
โž• 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:34

Incidentally, the two talks in Las Vegas that inspired the career talks this week: โ€ข Luke Rettig, Target: https://videos.itrevolution.com/watch/762364324/

Marc Poulin21:12:04

I do love that individual contributor tracks are more and more prevalent. No one deserves a manager who doesn't want to be there, but has to for career growth.

๐Ÿ’ฏ 2
๐ŸŽฏ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:19

Surround yourself with people who will challenge you @rradclif

โค๏ธ 1

That is easy to do where I work - lots of very talented people

Rosalind21:12:25

One thing I forgot to mention - we also have a large focus on training and giving more people options - we work with the PTech high schools to bring people into technology earlier - We have what we call new collar to say no need to have a college degree to come into IBM. There are a number of initiatives to provide skills training to the world as well.

โค๏ธ 13
Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:23

Is credentialism being challenged actively at IBM?

Rosalind21:12:06

We don't require a degree, or specific certification. We bring in new collar, we have the return to workplace initiatives. We focus on peoples ability to learn, to grow and drive innovation.

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:40

How is IBM about embracing fully-remote workstyles now?

Rosalind22:12:50

We went fully remote with COVID pretty fast. But it's important to understand IBM has always have flexibility, even when we were in the office 5 days a week. People could work the hours that work for them, they can go home to be home when kids arrive at home, you can go do volunteer work. We have also always had fully remote people that had skills we wanted. We do encourage to come in for purpose. Doing a design session in person is great, workshops are great. Some jobs never went remote, such as our line to build our machines, and some of our test floor. Those roles needed to be in the office.

Rosalind22:12:43

We have also found, coming in for purpose, is a good thing for new hires, bringing them in to meet the people they work with. It's much easier to work remote when you know the person.

Dave Zorko21:12:20

Thank you @rradclif!

Jonathan Mailhot21:12:21

Thank you so much for this talk @rradclif โค๏ธ

Marc Poulin21:12:28

Great talk. Thank you!

โค๏ธ 1
Heather Bannon21:12:39

Amazing talk, @rradclif! thank you for sharing!

Arun Chawla21:12:42

That was a lovely talk. Thank you!

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:54

Thanks you @rradclif -- so much to try and absorb and reflect on

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:05

Thank you so much, @rradclif!!!! One of the things she mentioned: if youโ€™re interested in creating an IC ladder in your company, sheโ€™d love to help โ€” and many others in this community have done the same! (hello, @topo.pal!)

๐Ÿ‘ 4
โœ‹ 1
Istvan Bathazi21:12:07

this was powerful great talk. @rradclif thank you!

Topo Pal21:12:14

Thank you @rradclif

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:22

Hello, Dr. @drandremartin!!!!! Thanks for being here today!

Balwant Kamboj21:12:28

Thanks @rradclif

Andrรฉ Martin21:12:32

Hello everyone. @genek thanks for the generous introduction.

๐Ÿ‘‹ 2
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:52

(I got that eNPS suggestion in a text from @drandremartin while driving in a car, on the morning that we had to freeze the State of DevOps Research questions. Exciting times.)

Andrรฉ Martin21:12:35

Super exciting. Was a series of fun conversations Gene.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:23

โ€œ31% of employees quit their job in the first 6 monthsโ€

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:56

Love this talk... I need to listen again and again to try and operationalize this.

๐Ÿ‘† 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:46

This is a startling presentation โ€” the ultimate โ€œitโ€™s not you, itโ€™s meโ€, but for the exogenous factors in oneโ€™s work environment.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:57

(Or โ€œit really isnโ€™t me, itโ€™s everyone else.โ€ ๐Ÿ˜‚ )

Andrรฉ Martin21:12:50

Ah, Nick. Thanks. It was a fun piece of research and a topic I care so much about...because when the natural preferences of how talent likes to work matches the company they are in...it is pure brilliance. Truly, the stories from the interviewees were breathtaking.

Nick Eggleston (free radical)21:12:22

And a fast set of questions show you as an prospective employee can quickly size of the organization for "fit" relative to you as an individual.

Andrรฉ Martin21:12:24

There are many more insights to come! Hoping Gene will invite me back to Vegas next year..hint, hint.

๐Ÿ”ฅ 5
๐Ÿฅณ 1
Margueritte Kim (CEO, IT Revolution)21:12:07

Sunday blues are a real thing.

โ˜๏ธ 5
Adrienne Shulman21:12:53

but not for you, right @mvk842? ๐Ÿ˜

Margueritte Kim (CEO, IT Revolution)21:12:34

Not anymore! But for many years, YES. And just ask @genek about status reports!

โค๏ธ 2
๐Ÿ˜‚ 1
Adrienne Shulman22:12:27

dread of status reports... such a universal feeling we can all relate to

Marc Poulin13:12:37

I don't get Sunday blues as much as Monday morning anxiety.

Andrรฉ Martin21:12:50

@nickeggleston A few of my favorite interview questions:

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:00

^^^ I can resonate with thatโ€ฆ. thereโ€™s a certain point in my career where it not only impacted me, but also @mvk842!!!!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair21:12:26

(โ€ฆand the kids, and the dog.)

Chris Austin22:12:22

Absolutely loved this session in Vegas, and can't wait to pre-order your book

๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
๐Ÿ™Œ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:06

I was amazed at some of the replies to a tweet I had written on those status reports! Some made cynicism seem inevitable, and others were heartbreaking! https://twitter.com/RealGeneKim/status/1575534191890288640

โค๏ธ 4
๐Ÿฅฒ 1
Ryan Taylor, Application Architect, Axim Geospatial22:12:51

I automated those with PowerShell and Jira. There's still no value but those that want them run them now. I wasn't able to convince folks they were unnecessary.

Adrienne Shulman22:12:01

@genek I was too triggered to add my own comments ๐Ÿ˜‚

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:11

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:50

Correction: ๐Ÿ˜ข ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข

Adrienne Shulman22:12:18

But maybe 95% of the reason I quit a job once was because of "status report culture" ๐Ÿ˜†

Michael Winslow22:12:44

@ryanewtaylor I did the same thing! JIRA -> Confluence Wiki! I even did a talk about it in 2017. No way I was going to spend my time creating those reports manually. Then I used that same code to generate release notes! https://speakerdeck.com/michaelswinslow/automated-release-notes-stc19

โค๏ธ 2
Adrienne Shulman22:12:23

"how we do work" another word for culture?

Gunjan Taleja22:12:32

Wow!!! Great and eye opener session!

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Pete Smoot22:12:53

Maintaining connection with team and manager is really hard when working fully remote.

๐Ÿ‘† 2
Balwant Kamboj22:12:32

Really great talk thanks @drandremartin

๐Ÿ‘† 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:34

Career vs. Company vs. Cause

๐Ÿ‘ 1
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Andrรฉ Martin22:12:37

How we work is the element of culture that is often below the surface (it is vital but not always overt or accessible or taught)...you have to bump into it. @ashulman

โค๏ธ 5
Andrรฉ Martin22:12:46

Interview questions: What is the profile of the person that succeeds at this company? What happens here that didn't happen at any other companies you have worked at? Describe for me a typical day from start to finish. How do you spend your time?

โค๏ธ 1
Arun Chawla22:12:05

I will have to watch this talk again! So good

๐Ÿ’ฏ 7
gratitude-thank-you 1
Christian Kullmann / Eurowings / Engineering Manager22:12:32

This talk is mind blowing, @drandremartin. Thank you already.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:58

Or for leaders, create a bubble where you and your teams can work the way you and team want to work โ€” yes, @drandremartin?

Andrรฉ Martin22:12:11

I am going to have to hang out more with this group...for sure! Thanks @arun.chawla! Thanks @christian.kullmann505!

Arun Chawla22:12:40

I am thinking I need to get Andre come talk to NOAA!!

๐Ÿ”ฅ 2
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Topo Pal22:12:29

I would like to attend that talk too!

Andrรฉ Martin22:12:10

@genek Here are the buffers. As long as your team works truly independently, creating your own way of working, works. If you are dependent on others...that can cause coordination costs to many teams working many different ways.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:40

(Although, I have a friend who is working on a Ph.D., and will never get out of there. I think heโ€™ll give Nola Oachs a run for her money. ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚

Jonathan Mailhot22:12:11

"See everyday as a prototype"... brilliant!

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:14

โ€œIn every Wrong Fit experience, I found a master of craft who could help me get better at what I do.โ€

Topo Pal22:12:57

Meetings - discretionary activities

๐Ÿ˜‚ 1
Andrรฉ Martin22:12:37

41% of their time in discretionary activities that are non-value added. Still stuns me. @topo.pal meetings are a big issue...much better way to come together to do work.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:00

Another twist on the โ€œdonโ€™t do the wrong things rightโ€!

๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
Ryan Taylor, Application Architect, Axim Geospatial22:12:33

This one hits hard. Great talk @drandremartin!

gratitude-thank-you 1
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Andrรฉ Martin22:12:29

We all deserve to be in a right fit experience. If you have, hold on tight. Thanks for letting me crash the party! DOES is the best!

โค๏ธ 8
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:45

Alas, @drandremartin is not available to do a workshop over the next two days during this conference, due existing commitments โ€” but letโ€™s see what we can make happen! If youโ€™re interested in learning more from Andre, DM him and me, and letโ€™s figure something out!

Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:09

Definitely interested in learning more from him... maybe this would be a good follow-up talk for AndonCord huddles at a future date.

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Nick Eggleston (free radical)22:12:47

If you see somebody struggling, not finding their feet, their fit ... help 'em!

Hossain Mohammad22:12:47

Thank you so much @drandremartin

โค๏ธ 1
Istvan Bathazi22:12:04

@drandremartin this was amazing!!! thank you!!!

Chris Austin22:12:05

I think that if I listened to this talk this past Spring I would have updated my resume and moved on, because it was a very welcome dose of perspective. In that time I've mostly fixed the major problems though, doubling down on improving our ways of working, building business alignment, and making the environment better for others in the process. Thank you for such an important talk.

Pete Smoot22:12:09

Fantastic talk. Thanks @drandremartin!

Christian Kullmann / Eurowings / Engineering Manager22:12:16

Thank you again for this amazing talk. Looking forward to learning more on the topic. @drandremartin

Arun Chawla22:12:20

Lovely talk!! Thank you so much @drandremartin

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:20

Thank you so much, Dr. @drandremartin! Hoping we can find more ways to connect this community with your work soon!!!!

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Patrick Maille22:12:34

Eye opener talk ! thanks @drandremartin

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Andrรฉ Martin22:12:45

If you are into this topic of "fit", I am planning to put together a webinar in the near future. Email at <mailto:andre@theshiftspace.com|andre@theshiftspace.com> and I will get you on the list. Let's continue this conversation!

โค๏ธ 6
๐Ÿ”ฅ 2
โœ… 2
Andrรฉ Martin22:12:45

If you are into this topic of "fit", I am planning to put together a webinar in the near future. Email at <mailto:andre@theshiftspace.com|andre@theshiftspace.com> and I will get you on the list. Let's continue this conversation!

โค๏ธ 6
๐Ÿ”ฅ 2
โœ… 2
Mark Persiko22:12:35

Some of your thoughts are echoed in a book I've read called What Color Is Your Parachute but I think you offer constructive steps about what to do while we are waiting for the right fit.

Andrรฉ Martin22:12:22

I remember the book. Yep. Will go back and give it another read. There has been a lot to help people find their "true north" but not a lot on how to practice in a company that fits them. Trying to lean into this area. Thanks Mark! Have a great day.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair22:12:01

Okay, thatโ€™s Day 1!! Hope itโ€™s been fantastic for you โ€” Day 2 will be as good, or maybe even better!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚ (No offense to Day 1 speakers!! ๐Ÿ™‚

๐Ÿ™Œ 7
๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
Slackbot22:12:29

Reminder: Please submit your feedback for the talks you attended. Itโ€™s so valuable for us and the speakers. And after all, feedback is a gift and sharing is caring! Enter your feedback for those talks here: https://doesus2022.sched.com/ https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/files/UATE4LJ94/F04DG7DQMSS/image.png

Slackbot22:12:26

Reminder: Thatโ€™s a wrap for Day 1 of the Summit. Head to the Dockside Bar in Gather if you want to connect with other fellow travelers and keep the conversation going. Weโ€™ll see everyone tomorrow for the start of Day 2 at 8:30am CST. https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/files/UATE4LJ94/F04DL04TNFP/image.png

Bryan Finster - Defense Unicorns (Speaker)23:12:53

Not at the bar? Missing out.

โ˜๏ธ 1