2023-05-16
>
Mitesh (DOES Event Staff / Engineer at Gaiwan)06:05:51

Super excited for this!!!! :star-struck:

โค๏ธ 4
Jim Moverley06:05:01

And weโ€™re off!! :)

Gerald Benischke06:05:43

Listening to Gene makes me wonder: Did I press the 1.5x speed?

๐Ÿ˜‚ 9
Jafar Shayan06:05:04

He should practice Slowification ๐Ÿ˜

๐Ÿ™ 1
Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)06:05:40

They disabled it in the GUI for this iteration.

Simon Mansfield06:05:33

Weโ€™re here!! ๐Ÿ‘‹ ๐Ÿ‘‹

๐Ÿ˜ƒ 3
๐ŸฆŠ 1
Max Steel06:05:57

thankyou 2
๐Ÿ‘ 2
Ann Perry - IT Revolution06:05:41

Please welcome our first speaker: David Keane, Global Head of DevSecOps Transformation, HSBC

Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)06:05:09

Having been in so many virtual conferences, I find myself missing the live interaction on Slack with the speakers while they are speaking live.

โค๏ธ 1
๐Ÿ‘ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair06:05:16

Hello, all! HSBC has 50K technologists โ€”ย what astounding scale. @djmkeane

๐Ÿคฏ 2
๐Ÿ‘ 2
Mike Long - CEO at Kosli06:05:31

For those into David Keaneโ€™s topics - there is a #C01577ZGQ2G channelโ€ฆ maybe we could make a mini-scenius for governance in DevOps :star-struck:

โ˜๏ธ 3
Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)07:05:06

If you present the 13 year plan to management, it will be implemented in 32.5 years.

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:07

@djmkeane where we started; FX eVolve: multibillion dollar trades, available 365/24. One of most important business processes for the firm.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:04

"Had very strange relationship with 'the business' โ€”ย went down for 48 hours. Unheard of. If it down for half-day, they would fired someone. But two days, they couldn't just fire someone โ€” they had to talk and introspect what was going wrong"

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:37

"Everyone had to carry a pager โ€”ย business analysts, managers. If they didn't want to, they were invited to join another team." (Astonishing!)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:55

Increased deployment frequency: went from monthly deployments -> now hundreds of deployments per day now (did I get that right?!) "I don't know which day was the worst in my career, but I do know that it was a Monday." Hahaha

Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)07:05:35

For me, the worst day was a Saturday. Banks have it easy.

๐Ÿ˜† 1
๐Ÿ”ฅ 2
๐Ÿ˜‚ 1
Patrick Debois07:05:44

from more change , more failure to more change , less failure :the_horns:

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:53

"The idea that deploying more frequently could result in fewer outages did not come easily to me, which is why this graph was so powerful to me."

Shiraz07:05:29

The inverse of relationship between change and failure rates is a nice point of recognition for maturity of the team

๐ŸŽ‰ 2
Mike Long - CEO at Kosli07:05:43

PDPTPPY - Production Deployments per Ten Persons Per Year

๐Ÿ”ฅ 1
Simon Mansfield07:05:00

Catchy! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Christian Kullmann, Eurowings Digital, Engineering Manager Cloud, (He/Him)07:05:04

@djmkeane How did you start measuring these metrics? Did you have an automated approach before K8s?

David Keane20:05:14

@christian.kullmann any Service Management tool should do for the basics. When we started we were using CAโ€™s Global Service Desk but have migrated to Service Now. We count the CRโ€™s and the INโ€™s , so you need solid IT Service Mgmt record keeping. We built our own dashboard which brings in people data and we also built a Pod visualization tool so we knew how teams were organized.

Marcelo Ancelmo07:05:19

"Is going ot rain tomorrow" Perfect ๐Ÿ˜€

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:24

@djmkeane had fantastic phrase he used to describe these graph โ€”ย I think he called them "positive jaws", showing the surprisingly and eerily similar inverse correlation of deployment frequency and business impact incidents.

๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:23

On the importance of ambitious goals like "double frequency" or "halve business impact" โ€” "improving by 10%" doesn't move the dial on important outcome.

On the importance of enabling clients to copy/paste info from their app into a spreadsheet โ€”ย "sure, you'll have it tomorrow morning." Generates genuine delight for customer.

Gabor Csomak07:05:52

Love how you can see December on this plot ๐Ÿ™‚

๐Ÿ˜œ 2
๐Ÿ˜€ 1
David Keane20:05:13

@csomakk if you look carefully you can see seasonal peaks in Mar, June, Sept and Nov - a legacy of quarterly releases. With the massive dip in Dec/Jan for change freeze. When you plot for 8000 apps this is still pronounced, however for mature apps itโ€™s all but disappeared. For teams of high maturity they can choose to ignore YE change freezes. What we see with maturing teams is both the positive jaws and the flattening out of peaks and troughs. We have some way to go !

Gabor Csomak10:06:45

Ah that's brilliant. Ye it would look quite similar to us as well :)

Jim Moverley07:05:55

treating engineers as customers ๐Ÿ™‚ - smart move "working backwards"

โ˜๏ธ 2
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Simon Mansfield07:05:03

โ€œDouble, and halveโ€ - Thatโ€™s going to stick in peopleโ€™s minds!

๐Ÿ’ฏ 4
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:26

We treated to controls as products โ€”ย our goal was to make improve the lives of developers every day.

Dinkar07:05:31

Controls as products is an interesting framing.. granularity will be key

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:39

Reduced 35K days of engineering toil, deleted 7.5 centuries of wait time.

๐Ÿ˜ฏ 2
โค๏ธ 1
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Mike Long - CEO at Kosli07:05:40

โ€œWe treated controls as productsโ€ ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘

๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
Mike Long - CEO at Kosli07:05:49

@djmkeane - would love to hear what controls you started with, and how you run the product management process ๐Ÿ™

David Keane17:05:48

SDLC, Deployment mgmt, CyberSec and Change. Letโ€™s try and continue the discussion tomorrow, think you guys said you were doing a demo

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:23

We are winning hearts and minds of engineers; we had 11K engineers join our voluntary webinar around tech strategy โ€”ย astonishing, but it was because there was something in it for them.

๐Ÿ‘ 2
Jim Moverley07:05:50

i love this : "culture eats strategy for breakfast" - People -> culture -> processes -> tools in that order #BVSSH

๐Ÿ‘ 2
Jon Smart [Sooner Safer Happier]07:05:52

7.5 centuries of wait time removed ๐Ÿฅณ

Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)07:05:40

I've reduced 1 FTE (my own) with a simple shell script once, but a decade is impressive.

๐Ÿ™‚ 1
Shiraz07:05:55

That is annual reduction of 7.5 centuries of wait time

Ann Perry - IT Revolution07:05:04

Please join @djmkeane for a Q&A discussion during lunch today at 12:00 in Grand Ballroom IV.

๐ŸŽ‰ 7
Ann Perry - IT Revolution07:05:00

Next, let's welcome Jagpal Jheeta, Head of Regulatory Systems, Financial Conduct Authority

Mike Long - CEO at Kosli07:05:09

The UK Financial Conduct Authority published some amazing research around delivering change: https://www.fca.org.uk/publications/multi-firm-reviews/implementing-technology-change

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:26

One of the many wonderful things talking with Jagpal Jheeta was learning the mission of Financial Control Authority.

Mike Long - CEO at Kosli07:05:02

59K businesses regulated by the FCA ๐Ÿคฏ

๐Ÿคฏ 1
Dinkar07:05:07

Set standards for 19000 firms.. that's BIG

๐Ÿ”ฅ 1
Dinkar07:05:03

And supervising 49000.. big crowd to supervise and keep in check..

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:04

A wildly entertaining podcast on the people who hacked all three newswire services, netting them $30MM, caught by SEC, who noticed their very odd training behavior: link is here: https://darknetdiaries.com/episode/123/ (The SEC is the US Securities and Exchange Commission with a similar mission in the U.S.)

๐Ÿ‘€ 3
๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:45

50% of FCA employees are accountants and lawyers.

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:32

"How did FCA journey begin? Not surprisingly, a crisis. And we never should waste a crisis."

"I'm here to build great technology; not run contracts or manage suppliers." "We need to be selling and exciting and motivating our team."

๐Ÿ”ฅ 1
Dinkar07:05:57

Business... aah.. even I loath the term. +1.. we are the business..

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:46

"FCA sets extremely high standards of responsibility for those we regulate; and we hold ourselves to those standards, as well."

Dave Anderson07:05:46

Let's eradicate the term "the business", I'd rather use "we".

โค๏ธ 4
Dinkar07:05:04

Done that..

โค๏ธ 2
Steve Challis07:05:51

Metrics remove the subjectivity from communication

๐Ÿ’ฏ 3
๐Ÿ‘ 4
Mattijs Ghijsen07:05:08

Fully agree! But I do struggle with the โ€œhowโ€ in measuring DORA metrics. For example, a failed deployment may be interpreted in many different ways by a software development team. So how do you ensure that the numbers actually have the same meaning across the whole org, especially at such a large scale? Or do we just accept that there are different interpretations and allow for that?

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Steve Challis08:05:58

I guess if you are always measuring in the same way then its ok. The Value in metrics come from improvements against the baseline that you take. Yes DORA suggest "what good metrics look like" but as long as you're improving compared with how you were yesterday then it is useful. The harder thing is how do you actually surface that information? Most orgs I chat with look blankly when I ask them to share even the very basics of metrics. Another thing that I think is important to capture is the value that was actually delivered by the change that was made. This closes the feedback loop. Most changes will have a proposal about what the value will be from the change, but how many times do we measure if that value was realised? Without the above the biggest "development" problem that you have could be getting the business cases wrong for your changes. Therefore most of your effort is completely wasted.!! just my thoughts

Jelena Laketiฤ‡07:05:00

use DORA metrics to communicate instead of english.. i like that!

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:03

"One of the firms we work with [to build FCA tech capabilities] has 300K technologists โ€”ย we're a rounding error for them. We have our CEO talk to them, impressing upon them the importance of our mission, and the importance of the work they do for us. Very rare for those teams to have their customer CEOs talk with them." Awesome.

๐Ÿ‘ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:21

"We want to inspire our suppliers to work for us."

๐Ÿ‘ 3
Dinkar07:05:56

Work "with" us

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:15

(It's astounding to hear about the employee turnover in the outsourcing firms โ€”ย @ben.grinnell do you remember what those percentages were?)

Jagpal Jheeta11:05:44

35% attrition in 2022!

Ivan Krnic (Director of Engineering at CROZ)07:05:26

Wonderful win-win mindset and approach!

Reduce "the number of surprises per day"... good indicator to work with

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Ben Grinnell - North Highland and DOES PC07:05:23

Supplier mgr feels like he has a seat at the table supplier -> partner!

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Dinkar07:05:55

Crucial... belong not fit-in

Jelena Laketiฤ‡07:05:01

Great community spirit: treating suppliers as part of the team, working toward mutual goal, embracing one global language #oneteam

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:03

"If my suppliers fail, I fail. If I fail, the FCA fails. If the FCA fails, the UK economy fails." Ooof.

๐Ÿ’ฅ 5
๐Ÿคฏ 2
๐Ÿ‘ 2
Simon Mansfield07:05:42

If I can add one more more: โ€œโ€ฆ If the UK economy fails, everyone fails.โ€

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)07:05:27

That's a key success factor in any multi-vendor endeavor: The capability to forget in the day-to-day what company sends the paycheck to each of us.

โค๏ธ 1
Dave Anderson07:05:11

Love the idea of introduction challenge and Communities of practice into the vocab - Common language is crucial.

โค๏ธ 2
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Dinkar07:05:33

One language #languageisleadership

upvotepartyparrot 2
๐Ÿ‘ 1
โค๏ธ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:14

"We shout about our near-misses."

๐Ÿ’ฏ 2
โœ… 1
Dinkar07:05:32

Shout out misses and failures.. #learningfromincidents

๐Ÿ‘ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:36

(Those weak signals of failures or potential failures, that need to be amplified in order to better prevent, or better detect and recover)

๐Ÿ‘ 2
Dinkar07:05:25

Feedback amplification.. sooner, high fidelity, actionable

โค๏ธ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:05

"Our CEO stated that he wants to be the leading regulator in the world."

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:37

"Huge amount of attrition in digital space. One of our suppliers had 30% attrition."

Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)07:05:24

No silver bullets, but they only help with werewolves anyway.

Ann Perry - IT Revolution07:05:31

Please welcome our next speaker: Maya Leibman, Sr. Advisor, American Airlines

๐Ÿ‘ 5
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:43

"Passion and accountability"

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Dinkar07:05:28

Selling devops internally... to sell is human ๐Ÿคช

๐Ÿ˜‰ 1
Use other profile07:05:40

๐Ÿ•

๐Ÿ• 2
phoenix 1

Love it.. "get alone, go fast, get together, go far"

โค๏ธ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:25

love @maya.leibman on where to start, not necessarily mobile apps: at AA, included mainframe apps. The Home Depot started on equipment rentals. Always so interesting to see where the journey starts in these orgs!

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Stephen Walters07:05:28

โ€œMake the invisible visibleโ€ - love it!

โค๏ธ 3
Dave Anderson07:05:10

Find your North Star!

โ˜๏ธ 1
Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)07:05:13

This is annoying. My boss is here, but he gets this stuff. Bar?

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:13

Ex: "grow loyalty membership by increasing one-click enrollments by 25% on the Oblix app by next quarter". Vs. Merely "doubled deployment frequency" Modeling how to convey business value.

Stephen Walters07:05:12

โ€œTie the measurable goal to a business outcomeโ€ - YES, YES, YES!

๐Ÿ’ฏ 2
๐Ÿ’ฅ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:52

Challenge Coins! (A practice that is very common in many military services.)

Stephen Walters07:05:40

Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Simon Mansfield07:05:42

โ€œThis is not the alliance you are looking forโ€ฆโ€ ๐Ÿ‘‹

๐Ÿ˜‚ 3
Jeff Gallimore (CTIO - Excella)07:05:12

iโ€™m noticing a theme of โ€œtokensโ€ (challenge coins, stickers, duckies) that signal belonging and shared valuesโ€ฆ

Simon Mansfield07:05:06

Is anyone else getting a hankering for pizza now for some reason?! ๐Ÿ•

๐Ÿ• 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair07:05:18

Another common theme: "how do you get thousands of people thinking and contributing and thinking... as opposed to only the people 'at the top'"

๐Ÿ‘ 3
๐Ÿ“ฃ 2
Dave Anderson07:05:26

Big upvote for "Open Space technology" - 4 principles and 1 law - worth a google. It's a game changer & quite subtle.

gratitude-thank-you 1
โ˜๏ธ 1
Dinkar07:05:42

Love it.. "Be gently persistent".. stealing it shamelessly ๐Ÿ˜

๐Ÿ˜‚ 4
Niko Kivelรค, Head of DevOps, SOK (S Group)07:05:39

Pizza seems to be the centerpiece in team topology, motivating people and gathering like-minded people. DevOps is dead. Long live PDD (Pizza Driven Development) ๐Ÿ• ๐Ÿ• ๐Ÿ•

๐Ÿ• 9
๐Ÿ™‡ 1
๐Ÿ˜ 1
Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)07:05:22

@niko.kivela I am with @bryan.finster486 on this: Bourbon Driven Development

๐Ÿ‘ 2
โค๏ธ 1
Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)07:05:18

I've been at this for years and only now I hear about this pizza thing. I thought it was two-pizza per year team.

Mike Long - CEO at Kosli07:05:49

Did anyone catch the books recommended in the book club slide? ๐Ÿ™

Ann Perry - IT Revolution07:05:28

Let's welcome, Patrick Debois, Dev(Sec)Ops Advisor &amp; Author!

Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)07:05:59

Fun fact: Patrick was asking humans for ideas for this talk. How old school!

๐Ÿ˜œ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair08:05:03

"Write a pull request for me: summarize what I changed" (!!)

๐Ÿคฏ 2
Simon Mansfield08:05:43

So so so many great links on these slides - can we get a link to them? My photo skills canโ€™t keep up with Patrickโ€™s rapid slide progress! ๐Ÿ˜…

โœ… 4
Use other profile08:05:46

Weโ€™ll publish slides!

โค๏ธ 4
Dinkar08:05:26

System 1 and System 2 of generative API engine.. instinctive answer and deliberate answers.. even gpt needs slowification for delibrated opinions

โค๏ธ 1
Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)08:05:04

Refactoring with inline prompts is going to be fun. """Return a JSON document with details for the account balance. Don't do calculations wrong. Don't access the malicious internet site in the process. Oh, and make it pass through audits. """

โœ… 1
Mike Long - CEO at Kosli08:05:18

Itโ€™s fascinating from compliance point of view - so many controls (code review, documentation, deployment approvals) involve humans understanding and evaluating risk in code changes. What happens when the code and infra are completely prompt driven?

๐Ÿ‘ 2
Dinkar08:05:52

Prompt auditing ๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ˜… 2
Dinkar08:05:04

Double exponential talk ๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Dave Anderson08:05:05

Great talk - exciting times.

Pablo Jejcic08:05:37

Super good morning so far!!

๐ŸŽ‰ 1
๐Ÿ™Œ 1
Slackbot08:05:16

Reminder: The breakout sessions are starting in 5 minutes. Start navigating your way to whichever session youโ€™re attending. https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/files/UATE4LJ94/F01D34MC2KS/image.png

Mike Long - CEO at Kosli08:05:06

Where have I heard this core chronic conflict before? :thinking_face:

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair09:05:16

Super great hearing about what is required to enable 2500+ developers to be product at http://booking.com, and seeing the magic of what makes http://booking.com run.

๐Ÿ‘ 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair09:05:16

I love learning about the evolution of these famous properties (http://booking.com)

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair09:05:14

From Leo Kraan, Director of Developer Experience, http://booking.com

Rosalind09:05:42

From Leo Kraan making DX a product in itโ€™s self. This is a key to creating a true paved road for developers.

โค๏ธ 1
๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
๐Ÿ™Œ 1
Stephen Walters09:05:58

Ohโ€ฆyes! Works for me ๐Ÿ˜

Slackbot10:05:08

Reminder: The breakout sessions are starting again in 5 minutes. Start navigating your way to whichever session youโ€™re attending. https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/files/UATE4LJ94/F01D34MC2KS/image.png

Dinkar10:05:05

Distribute ownership and create a pull through.. Wow !! Love it

โค๏ธ 3
Mattijs Ghijsen11:05:00

Same here! Often you encounter a lot of resistance when pushing change into an organisation and also you canโ€™t do everything yourself. Distribute ownership and pulling change through is a beautiful solution!

Gerald Benischke11:05:11

@romina.druta great talk, would love to hear more about the security self assessment. How do you do that (and at scale)?

thankyou 1
Romina Druta12:05:59

I owe you an answer @gbenischke ๐Ÿ™‚ In Visma we are doing the SSA by going with each team through a number of sections like: the system diagram, attack surfaces, secrets storage and other security best practices. Doing it at scale is a real challenge as there are teams that need to wait several weeks for this to be done and some are pressed as they can get off the tier, but we put in place a process that involves a Security Engineer from one team to do the assesment to another team.

Gerald Benischke13:05:24

everything is more difficult at scale - I'm currently playing with the idea of creating a pattern catalogue

Slackbot13:05:31

Reminder: The plenary sessions are starting again in 5 minutes. Start making your way back to Grand Ballroom. https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/files/UATE4LJ94/F01D34MC2KS/image.png

Eugene Coffie13:05:15

Card found in the main ballroom

Ann Perry - IT Revolution13:05:15

Welcome, Sascha Schรคrich, DevOps Evangelist and ร–rs Cseresnyรฉs, Senior Chapter Coach and Vice President, Deutsche Telekom IT

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair13:05:14

"We are German; we love accuracy, being on time, clear responsibilities; but if you're talking about changing something as fundamental and culture, it has challenges."

๐Ÿ˜† 9
Dinkar13:05:48

Wait till you have Swiss Germans ๐Ÿ˜‰ Our Canton in the North and we have same challenges...

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair13:05:41

"I'm considered one of the young wild ones here. I've been here since 1998."

๐Ÿ˜‚ 7
Dinkar13:05:31

"We need a name"

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair13:05:11

"War in Ukraine required us to relocate over 1000 people out of Russia."

Ann Perry - IT Revolution13:05:12

Let's welcome Rosalind Radcliffe, IBM Fellow, CIO DevSecOps CTO, IBM

โค๏ธ 4
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:05:02

It is known that IBM is spinning off Kyndryl, the long term business process outsourcing organization. Rumor has it that IBM was one of Kyndryl's largest customers. It's amazing that part of @rradclif 's challenge is hire an entirely new staff to take over and run all the mission critical services that enable the critical business processes.

๐Ÿ’ก 1
๐Ÿคฏ 2
Jon Smart [Sooner Safer Happier]14:05:55

The topic of @rradclif โ€˜s future October 2023 talk :) โ€˜We WILL succeedโ€™!

Rosalind15:05:27

Hopefully itโ€™s actually this is how we succeed.

๐Ÿ˜€ 1
Jelena Laketiฤ‡14:05:06

when rolling out devops across wealth management (my previous role) one of my streams was working on devops adoption for mainframe (cobol). it was a great experience and i was impressed that we cld do devops on the mainframe. thank you @rradclif ๐Ÿ˜ !

๐Ÿ™Œ 2
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:05:17

The image of @rradclif scouring the industry for retired mainframe practitioners is pretty awesome โ€”ย of which I met couple at the IBM SHARE mainframe conference back in 2016!

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:05:21

@rradclif nickname is now "The Hammer". ๐Ÿ˜† Obstacles result in her sending note, "often very short. 'What's the problem.' And problem disappears. Very quickly." Using authority of being a technical fellow to remove roadblocks.

๐Ÿ”จ 3
๐Ÿ˜… 1
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:05:31

Still getting my head around "replacing entire technology team".

Dinkar14:05:32

Power of framing.. instead of DR testing once a year for audit requirements, intentionally switch env every X times throughout the year.. DR results are success of that switch.. objective met with different framing of problem and solution.. continuous assurance!

Dave Anderson14:05:59

"The value of the Individual Contributor as a technical leader" - this is critical. It's very hard to be a technical leader when you have a bunch of people to manage. Only very few companies will have senior technical leaders, as ICs with executive influence.

Ann Perry - IT Revolution14:05:19

And now, let's welcome Dr. Mik Kersten, CTO, Planview

Damon Edwards14:05:36

Major accomplishment that Gene forgotโ€ฆ @rradclif was the first person to get Rundeck running on the Z ๐Ÿคฏ

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:05:50

Rod Johnson: "end of coding as a profession in 5-10 years"

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:05:18

Rod Johnson: creator of the original Spring Framework in Java in 2003: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Framework

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:05:00

FYI: Dr. Carlota Perez spoke at DevOps Enteprise in 2020, thanks to @mik

jmed14:05:02

LLMโ€™s 10x impact compared to OSS, Agile, DevOps :thinking_face:

Dave Anderson14:05:40

"Code is a liability"!! ๐Ÿ™‚

๐Ÿคฏ 3
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:05:15

Question from interns interviewing: "can we use GitHub CoPilot? If not, we don't want to work here." ๐Ÿ˜†

Dinkar14:05:01

This is true.. I have faced this.. and we need to provide right guardrails (encoded in platform) while allowing it. No, is not an option

Rosalind14:05:13

No to LLMs is not an option, but what models are used will a company decision.

Dinkar14:05:18

Exactly.. that's part of the guardrails and guidance (on data, models and operating context)

Olivier Jacques17:05:08

Totally possible to have good open source LLMs for coding hosted privately in the cloud.

Dave Anderson14:05:17

Interesting concept is to feed a roadmap/plan/map/artefact into and agent and ask it questions:

Dave Anderson14:05:53

is this achievable, how can we improve it, where is the constraint, what is commodity....?

Rosalind14:05:53

We need to be very careful with which LLMs are used. Yes they will help transform but explainability and ethical considerations must be included. Are we sure bias is not included? Are you sure about the heritage of any code generated?

๐Ÿ’œ 2
โ˜๏ธ 3
โค๏ธ 3
๐Ÿ‘ 1
๐Ÿคซ 1
Filip Berlikowski, CTO14:05:14

Whatโ€™s the difference from humans in that aspect? They also have bias and can use code of questionable heritage ๐Ÿคท

Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)14:05:29

Sam Altman said it in interview with Lex Fridman: The models will always have a bias. Since there is no global uniform culture, it is all about choosing the bias per culture.

Pablo Jejcic14:05:20

even if there is bias, as long as there is traceability why not? I would be more concern on the heritage of the code and the traceability of any data used than the bias per se...

Rosalind15:05:27

If there is traceability itโ€™s much better today ChapGPT just makeโ€™s stuff up

Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair14:05:06

@davidanderson393 Mind-popping. Crazy. Possible. Wild.

๐Ÿคฏ 1
Jason Cox - Disney14:05:11

@mik Prediction: Generative AI driving 10x software engineering with code agents, code brushes, prompt engineering and โ€œEnd of coding as a profession in 5-10 yearsโ€ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

๐Ÿ™‰ 1
Ann Perry - IT Revolution14:05:44

And now, for a round of fun ignite talks: Dr. Stephen Magill, Sonatype, VP, Product Innovation Followed by: Mitun Zavery, Sonatype, International VP Solution Architecture Ivan Krniฤ‡, Director of Engineering at CROZ Johannes Nicolai, Solutions Engineering at Postman

๐Ÿ”ฅ 1
upvotepartyparrot 1
Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)14:05:26

Okay, developers are not obsolete. How about DevOps Handwaving Coaches? Asking for a friend.

๐Ÿ˜† 1
๐Ÿ˜œ 1
Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)14:05:59

My interpretation of current state of LLMs: The rubber duck responds your questions.

๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
Jon Smart [Sooner Safer Happier]14:05:46

Happening right now:

๐ŸŽฏ 3
๐Ÿ‘ 1
Jim Moverley14:05:58

Loving the Ignite format on the mainstage ๐Ÿ™‚ awesome topics and quick snappy info downloads on ChatGPT! - and now a live demo! #techiewin!

๐Ÿ’ฏ 5
๐Ÿ™Œ 1
Jim Moverley15:05:54

@johannes.nicolai teaching us deepfake skills with postman! ๐Ÿ˜„ great demo! (but good to see live demo at DOES!)

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Ann Perry - IT Revolution15:05:21

A warm welcome to Dr. Andrรฉ Martin, Chief Talent and Learning Officer and author of the upcoming book, Wrong Fit, Right Fit

๐ŸŽ‰ 2
Gene Kim, ITREV, Program Chair15:05:01

"Decade of decadent growth"

๐Ÿ’ฏ 1
James Donovan, Equal Experts15:05:05

โ€˜There are toxic leaders, poorly ran teams. 60% of us are generally happy but 40% struggleโ€™

โ˜๏ธ 2
Pablo Jejcic15:05:06

still looks better with my left hand than when my doctor writes a prescription...

๐Ÿ˜‚ 3
๐Ÿ˜† 1
Jim Moverley15:05:29

@drandremartin is almost ambidextrous ๐Ÿ˜„ - wrong fit experience audience exercise!

Ferrix Hovi - Principal Engineering Avocado - SOK (S Group)15:05:56

I see a correlation here. According to @mik, 8% of the value stream doesn't suck... And 40% of people are unhappy. It is marvelous that 60% of people can be contempt.

Pablo Jejcic15:05:25

@drandremartin how do you promote culture transformation when you know that all the new recruits will see the old culture (that we want to change) and leave or worse disengage?

โ˜๏ธ 1
Filip Berlikowski, CTO15:05:47

Be open to recruits about the fact that the transformation is needed. Be transparent about the plan of the transformation and make it clear that their role in that transformation is fundamental for its success.

๐Ÿ‘ 1
Pablo Jejcic15:05:09

every time... but when they experience it is different.. and of course experiencing something is much stronger than theory ๐Ÿ˜‰

Margueritte Kim (CEO, IT Revolution)15:05:49

โ€œCulture is the aggregation of our collective behaviors.โ€

๐Ÿ’ฏ 2
Ann Perry - IT Revolution15:05:14

And now...Forrest Brazeal, Developer Communities, Google ๐ŸŽถ

๐ŸŽน 5
Slackbot15:05:12

Reminder: Please submit your feedback for the talks you attended. Itโ€™s so valuable for us and the speakers. And after all, feedback is a gift and sharing is caring! Enter your feedback for those talks here: https://doesamsterdam2023.sched.com/ https://devopsenterprise.slack.com/files/UATE4LJ94/F057S172NG4/feedback.png